603's Project Jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 603's Project Jeep

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Minor update. It looks like i'm going to be going to Harbor Freight to pick up a brake line bender and flange tool. Does anyone know the size of the bolts that secure the brake lines into the T-junctions that're welded to the axles and the master cylinder, and what diameter brake line to get?

teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Ok, update again. Morris 4x4 has the right brake line kit back in stock, so I won't be having to cut my own lines. I also got final word on hubs coming as a pair instead of singly. Only bad part is, I won't be able to have them in to work on them next week when I'll be out of town. So the earliest I'll be able to do anything is next month. *sad panda face*

Has anyone tried Mile Marker hubs ? The Morris rep suggested them over WARN because of their warranty, and the fact that WARN costs about twice as much. I'm definitely not touching the Rugged Ridge ones; I've heard too many horror stories about their internals cracking.

Edit: removed the link, because it didn't work.
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I've heard a lot of good feedback about the Mile Markers. Might be worth giving them a try.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Ok, got the driver's side fender off and I'm really tired. No pics yet, almost as soon as I got done I had to go run help the parents wash some dogs and now its a little dark in the barn.

Good news is, most of the front brake lines are in place and not rusted on the outside. A third close look shows that its only missing the right and left metal lines from the rear union, hoses, and a rebuild on the front left cylinder.

Bad news was, most of the bolts were in horrible shape. Just freaking horrible. There was one that had me convinced I was going to have to get an angle grinder onto; I ended up catching it with a 7/16 wrench while my dad turned the 1/2 wrench on the bolt. Yes, it was originally a 1/2 bolt that was wallered *that* bad. I'd go phone up the guy who put the fender on and yell at him, but he's been dead several years now.

That's about all I was planning to do this month.
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
thefro68

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
When I got the back up on stands, the rear axle behaved strangely. If I turned one wheel, the other would turn the opposite direction. Is that supposed to happen?

Yes, what that means is that you have an open differential, if you had a locker engaged or a spool then they would both turn the same direction

Jeff
1979 CJ7
thefro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Ok, here's the pics. First one is how the it looks now- the fender is off, revealing a bunch of wires that I had to cut because I couldn't get them off using normal means. I plan on putting in a Painless kit anyway, so there's no point in keeping it. That long pigtail-covered cable goes to the e-brake handle.

Second pic is the hood and fender, lying up against some barn detritus. The pen is actually for the dogs so when we're not up here, they'll have a dry safe place to hide out during a rainstorm.

Third pic- can someone confirm that this is the union for the rear brake lines? It looks about right, but my Haynes manual doesn't say anything about brake line replacement and my dad's FSM vanished two mechanics ago.
img_0824.jpg   img_0837.jpg   img_0833.jpg  
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your faded surrey pink may in fact be faded Indian Ceramic, a really cool period color. One clue is the matching steering wheel.

Ya that's the brake line union.

I suggest you get a pack of matches and set fire to that Haynes manual. It will cause you much grief with misinformation and missing information. Get a Factory Service Manual for this Jeep, you won't regret it. Many sources to find them in print, ebay and www.thejeep.com come to mind.

This looks like a good salvagable/restorable early CJ5.
Do you plan a factory restoration, or a resto-mod (restoration appearance with more modern safety/driveability upgrades such as saginaw steering/11" or disc brakes/modern wiring with fuses, etc)

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #23
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
Your faded surrey pink may in fact be faded Indian Ceramic, a really cool period color. One clue is the matching steering wheel.

Ya that's the brake line union.
Woot, thanks.

I did a little google work on Indian Ceramic jeeps, and I noticed that the Tuxedo Park models had wheel well cushions with snaps on them. My wheel wells also have snaps, so maybe this was one of those models? They certainly aren't in the right spot for a soft top.

Quote:
I suggest you get a pack of matches and set fire to that Haynes manual. It will cause you much grief with misinformation and missing information. Get a Factory Service Manual for this Jeep, you won't regret it. Many sources to find them in print, ebay and www.thejeep.com come to mind.
Not until I can get an FSM in hand. I'll have to try the site you listed, although last time I was there I couldn't find one for anything before the '70s. Once I've got one, we can see about a good Haynes-burning.

Quote:
This looks like a good salvagable/restorable early CJ5.
Do you plan a factory restoration, or a resto-mod (restoration appearance with more modern safety/driveability upgrades such as saginaw steering/11" or disc brakes/modern wiring with fuses, etc)
Resto-mod. Some of that isn't entirely my choice; the electrical system was toast when we first got it and a Painless kit seems like the best choice for that. But for now I'm just trying to focus on getting it driveable again. The fiberglass body, Chevy V6, and brake upgrades for pulling small trailers are all going to come later.
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Wiring on these older Jeeps was fairly simple. I'd get a wiring diagram and study it. You may decide you can make your own harness and save some $$.

Also, if the drivetrain is stock, I think it may have 5.38 gears. That's like 45 MPHish at 3000 RPM with 31" tires. Keep that in mind if you decide to swap engines. Me, I enjoy taking my time when I'm driving the Jeep.
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #25
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

It looks like an elephant of a project. There's a ton of work to be done, but it looks like you are concentrating on all the right/important things. Should be very rewarding.

When it starts to look insurmountable. Just remember, the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Wiring on these older Jeeps was fairly simple. I'd get a wiring diagram and study it. You may decide you can make your own harness and save some $$.
I've thought about it. I found a color wiring diagram, but it doesn't list wire gauges. The only thing is, I want to add side marker lights, an electric radiator fan, and a radio; and I want to have a fuse box for extra protection. I've had circuitry fires before, and they aren't fun.

Quote:
Also, if the drivetrain is stock, I think it may have 5.38 gears. That's like 45 MPHish at 3000 RPM with 31" tires. Keep that in mind if you decide to swap engines. Me, I enjoy taking my time when I'm driving the Jeep.
Fine by me. If I drive more than a hundred miles one way, I have to make an overnight stay of it anyway because of some chronic medical conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
It looks like an elephant of a project. There's a ton of work to be done, but it looks like you are concentrating on all the right/important things. Should be very rewarding.

When it starts to look insurmountable. Just remember, the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.
That's a good one. I'll have to remember it.
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I've thought about it. I found a color wiring diagram, but it doesn't list wire gauges. The only thing is, I want to add side marker lights, an electric radiator fan, and a radio; and I want to have a fuse box for extra protection. I've had circuitry fires before, and they aren't fun.
Those fenders probably don't have the indented spot for markers. If you decide to change them, I know a project that needs some without the indentations.
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Those fenders probably don't have the indented spot for markers. If you decide to change them, I know a project that needs some without the indentations.
They don't have the indents, but you also don't want these fenders. Way too much bondo. Which is very troubling because the metal's sound enough to have not needed any bondo. Like I said, if the mechanic who put that fender back on was still alive, I'd phone him up and give him a good piece of my mind.

Two more pics, trying to nail down for sure whether its a Tuxedo Park or not. This could seriously affect how much modding there is in "resto-mod." First up is one showing where the snaps are on the inside of the wheel wells. I'm mentioning these because I saw some pics on another board, of a Tuxedo Park which claimed that they had these special padded armrests that snapped down. I certainly haven't seen another Jeep with those.

Second is the word "JEEP" on the passenger's side. I got to thinking and remembered an article somewhere that said all the Tuxes had the word "JEEP" in all caps, instead of "Jeep" like all the other Jeeps. Dunno how accurate that article is, but here it is just in case.
img_0843.jpg   img_0845.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Ok, one last update before I have to start thinking about going home. I borrowed a cousin and his pickup for a few minutes, and we pulled it far enough back in the barn that I can safely jack it and put stands under it. Hopefully. The reason I stopped messing with it back in the spring was because the front end wasn't on solid enough ground to safely jack or stand it. Hopefully now it'll be safer to work on.

*knocks on wood*
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Ok, not quite the last. I did some cleaning up while trying to locate the flasher relay, and ended up getting a few pics of it in its new more stable location.

And it always pays to clean up, because I found this little bugger in a pile of junk.

If you can't figure out what it is, its a brake hose. I now have something to compare with in case something doesn't look quite right.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.