603's Project Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 603's Project Jeep

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
teh603
1963 CJ5 

603's Jeep-in-a-Barn

Ok, so as I mentioned in the introductions thread, my dad has a jeep in a barn that I want to fix up. More after the pics, which I also posted in the "ugly jeeps" thread since it does seem to qualify right now.

So here's the lowdown: the only parts I can be sure are decently good are in the engine. Its an old Hurricane inline four, which means a very low top speed and decent enough torque if you lock the transfer case into double low. It *should* have a Borg-Warner T-90 transmission with a Spicer 18 transfer case, but dad's mechanics spent all their time wasting time on the engine instead of checking out the transmission and everything else.

The engine is also missing some of the clutch parts.

The brakes go to the floor. Since they're something that's really good to have if you plan on towing it without having to rent a Uhaul transport, I plan on getting these fixed first. I've got the tools to bleed them, including a small hand-operated suction pump to help remove any solid residues that might've built up.

The hubs are gone. As in, the last mechanic had them disassembled when he got laid off and we had to take the jeep back in a hurry because the remaining mechanics didn't want any 4x4 vehicles in their shop, particularly ones more than five years old. So I'm going to have to completely replace them since the original WARN hubs went missing during the move.

The electrical is a bloody mess. I'm going to have to get in a Painless kit, no question about it. And while I'm at it, replace the crusty old generator with a modern alternator.

It has a definite list because one of the leaf springs is much stronger than the others- cause its new and replaced a broken one. Now the other three are the weak ones. Good going, dad.

Rims are a total loss. After three cans of fix-a-flat in each just so we could get enough air in them to put them on a Uhaul, about all they're good for is dumping in a hole and burying.

Body tub is in really bad shape, too. Its got some real bad rust in areas where it shouldn't, but unfortunately as the most expensive item, its also the last one on the list. Lots of bondo on the front fenders as well.

And the passenger's seat is completely missing. It vanished several mechanics back.

So yeah. Encouragement will be much appreciated, because I've got a lot ahead of me.

teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
1983 CJ7 

Encouragement? You have a classic Jeep
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Need some more details/pics!

Cross posted your pics at: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/a...l#post13047065

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Ask and ye shall receive, although I'm missing a few of relevant areas. The whole shebang is up on a mix of concrete blocks and flat stones stacked up enough to serve as surrogate jackstands. We've got real jackstands too (open to suggestions as to where to put them to properly support it), if I can get dad to find the remaining three.

SKT- Might want to make a note that its not really abandoned; its more like a 20- year work in progress. And mom uses it as a resting place for her laundry basket.

This is the rear bumper. Its made out of some kind of oil pipe. The body was deformed when we had to use someone's tractor to push it up onto a Uhaul the last time- you'd think they'd equip the blasted things with winches like on the boat trailers.

Undercarriage showing the rear diff and the PTO cover on the back of the transfer case. One of my goals is to replace that PTO cover with a Novak one. I know the muffler's missing; I can worry about that when its inspection time.

What's left of the hubs. Hopefully nothing a lot of grease and a hub kit can't solve. Thankfully, the barn is a much drier environment than where it was when we picked it up the last time, so there isn't much new moisture getting in. Dust maybe, but no moisture.

I'm open for suggestions here, both to manufacturers and how to do it.

Broken hood hinges. I have an idea on how to fix this. So does dad. We don't see eye to eye on it, but this can also wait until much later since I don't think you even need a hood to pass inspection.

Hurricane engine from the port side. The mechanic who reassembled it said he got it running, and the last mechanic said he got it running also. So hopefully no sweat here; just pour a jigger or two of oil down the spark plug holes and see if it'll turn over.

Same engine from the starboard, showing really old wiring. Supposedly its all there, but I want to get an alternator in there and replace the belt- driven fan with an electric one.

If I get my way, sometime down the line (after getting a new body kit installed?), this old engine is going away and I'm going to replace it with a Vortec V6, preferably one of the old rumbly odd-fire ones.
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603

SKT- Might want to make a note that its not really abandoned; its more like a 20- year work in progress. And mom uses it as a resting place for her laundry basket.

Meh, the 'before' pics are fitting for my thread, plus I posted a link to your thread in the event someone is interested in following along.

Thanks for the details and additional pics.

What for timeline are you planning to have this on the road?

Unread 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
What for timeline are you planning to have this on the road?
No idea at this point. My first goal is to do the brakes and hubs, so I'll at least be able to tow it behind the pickup truck to a mechanic who can pull the engine out and put in a new clutch- or pull it out of the barn into the sunlight where I can do it.

Given the economy, it'll probably take a year or more.
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
teh603
1963 CJ5 

This jeep is now on hold in-farking-definitely.

The good news is that three out of the four brake cylinders are brand new (as in, still have the little yellow shipping plugs in them). I also found one of the hubs; its a ten- spline.

The regular bad news is that the transmission is stuck somehow. Not sure how that happened, but it did. I'll worry about it later, because I've got bigger problems.

The worse bad news is, when I got the front jacked up high enough to put on a stand, it decided it was going to jump off at me. So I figured it might've just been the scissor- jack I was using. So I go off and get a hi-lift out. Same thing; soon as it gets high enough for me to slide the stand under, it jumps off at me *again.* Insert language that would make Popeye blush.

At least I managed to get the stand out from under it; it had gotten wedged under one of the steering arms and I doubt those flimsy little steering arms are built to hold that jeep's weight for very long. Not only that, but the stands on the back are badly out of position. I tried getting those out, but felt the jeep trying to jump off yet again and decided that I *really* didn't want to give it a third shot at killing me. Jackstands are cheaper and easier to replace than I am.

So for the time being, I'm going to be looking for a running jeep.
Unread 02-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
John87
1985 CJ7 

a little windex on the windshield, perhaps?

seriously, that is sweet!
John87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Ok, slight update.

Three of the four brake cylinders look like this from the back- new bolts, and a little yellow cap in the cylinder. Looks like the last mechanic did more work than I gave him credit for. Now, I haven't taken the drums apart, but it looks like he might've rebuilt three of them.

That just leaves the driver's side front, which has no yellow cap and a lot of cobwebs and rust.

Master cylinder. Why the heck did they put them in such an awkward place? I'm going to have to lie down in the engine compartment to get to it.

Does this look at all like the stock body bolts? This was the closest I could find to a mount point. Yes, I can tell it needs to be stripped down and blasted with walnut hulls, then coated with some kind of epoxy primer. And maybe then painted John Deer Yellow.

Hub, specifically the stuck one. Don't look salveagable; guess its time to shell out for a Mile Marker kit from J. C. Whitney (since they don't seem to have ten-spline WARN hubs)?

Now the real bad news. The transmission appears to be totally STUCK in neutral. As in, I can't get it to shift. Dad says its because "it doesn't have a clutch plate." My answer to that is "lolwhut?" since if it didn't have a clutch plate, wouldn't it be able to shift freely?

When I got the back up on stands, the rear axle behaved strangely. If I turned one wheel, the other would turn the opposite direction. Is that supposed to happen?
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:

...then painted John Deer Yellow.
Meh, if you're referring to painting the frame an obnoxious color, that's not 'cool' IMO. Frankly, it's gross. Kinda of like every other teenager nowadays painting 'Monster' green accents on their black Jeeps.

It was played out in the '80's on Toyota pickups. Definety not the 'in' thing to do, and you will get tired of it eventually.

Go with the traditional black, and you'll be glad you did for years to come.

My two pennies...

Unread 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Meh, if you're referring to painting the frame an obnoxious color, that's not 'cool' IMO. Frankly, it's gross. Kinda of like every other teenager nowadays painting 'Monster' green accents on their black Jeeps.
How do you get more obnoxious than faded Surrey Pink?

When I'm done, I'd like to paint it John Deer green, with John Deer yellow highlights like the hubcaps and floor pans. It'll fit right in; the next bay over in the barn has a John Deer tractor from the '50s.
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
69willys
1969 CJ5 

John deer green sounds cool to me
69willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
How do you get more obnoxious than faded Surrey Pink?

When I'm done, I'd like to paint it John Deer green, with John Deer yellow highlights like the hubcaps and floor pans. It'll fit right in; the next bay over in the barn has a John Deer tractor from the '50s.
Painted frames, anything other than black, just looks gaudy/obnoxious to me.

Of course, it's your Heep; therefore you get to do whatever you want to do with it! The world would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes.

Good luck with it!

Unread 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Painted frames, anything other than black, just looks gaudy/obnoxious to me.

Of course, it's your Heep; therefore you get to do whatever you want to do with it! The world would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes.

Good luck with it!
Thanks

Any thoughts on the questions I asked?
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69willys

John deer green sounds cool to me

In the event you would like to see what a CJ would look like painted John Deere colors, a quick 'Google image search' will yield you more pictures than you could imagine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.