Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

is a 51 cj frame interchangeable with a 46 cj2a

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  likeg 
#1 ·
Ran across an add for a rolling chassis from a 51 cj complete with power steering, 350, automatic trans, drivelines, etc. Engine has a spun main, but no big deal. This already has the majority of mods I was wanting for the 46. Is the 51 frame interchangeable with the 46? I dont know the quality of the work, but everything looks to be there on the pics. Just wondering before I waste my time driving an hour to look at the rolling chassis.

#4 ·
They did no make the CJ5 in 51 it came out in 55. They did how ever make the Military M38A1 in 51 and that became the CJ5.I do not think the frame is the same.

#5 ·
He never said it was a CJ5. A 51 would have been either a CJ2a or CJ3a. don't recall the exact production years of those models off the top of my head though.

#6 ·
From what little research I have done the 51 would probably be the CJ3A. Pictures show the 51 CJ3A to have the flat fenders and low hood, looks almost identical to the 46 CJ2a. The guy is asking $1300 for the frame, motor (bad) transmission, transfer case, power steering set up, drivelines, etc. seems a little high to me especially since it is not running and I can not verify if the tranny, transfer case etc, are in working condition. I would definitely try to get it at a lower price if the frame is not cracked/broken and everything is there. Here is a link to the add, Any opinions on what is worth and will it work?

http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/3886469912.html

#7 ·
Man, I can't find it now, but somewhere on youtube there was a video where a guy had a bunch of frames layed out and was going over the differences. It mainly focused on the MB and 2a, but I think he mentioned a bit of the 3a as well. if I find it I'll post it. My gut tells me that a 3a frame would be very similar to a 2a, there might be minor differences, but over all it's probably the same. A 51 would be a 3a I believe, 2a ended in 49. But if it's anything like the 2a, there were some early 2a's that had carry over MB parts on it (including frames). Motor mounts might be different?

#8 ·
It's got a Warn overdrive in it (score) and the auto trans adapter is an expensive piece too, if you want to run an auto. But, the engine is toast, and without it running there's no way to verify the condition of the trans. I don't think I'd pay more than 1/2 of what he's asking.

#13 ·
I may offer him $400 for it contingent upon what I see if I do go look at it. I don't want to pay any more than that since i don't know if any of the parts are in actual working order. Thanks for all the input from everybody.
The CJ2A I have has been passed down through the family, is in primer, but in good shape (no rust, dents, etc). Still has original drive train, except the front brakes were upgraded to bigger drums. Runs good, i would just like to upgrade so i can drive over 50 MPH (with a good tailwind) and occasionally go off road in the mountains. Just thought this may be a decent alternative to get to where I want to go without breaking the bank, but I have worked on and restored enough cars to (1) never take the sellers word, especially if it cant be test driven and (2) it will always cost more than one originally estimated regardless of how good of a deal you originally think you got.

thankyou::thankyou:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.