51' CJ-3A Build... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 51' CJ-3A Build...

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #31
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now that the 4.0 swap is finally done, I can start to focus on the CJ! haha It should be a wicked fun project...

"The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds"-Theo Jansen
Viper723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #32
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The horsepower figure on the 95 2.5L engine is 120, and I can't imagine I have lost many seeing as it only had about 58k on it when I pulled it out. The CJ-3A only weighs about 2100 pounds, so that is nearly 120 HP per ton, which is pretty respectable considering its a WILLYS. The idea of having a V8 in it seems a bit much for the application I want it for, and I can't believe I didn't think of having the YJ drivetrain in it before.

My plans for this project are as follows:
  • Start with a very old and tired CJ-3 (not worth restoring for me judging by body damage and budget)
  • Drop in my 2.5L MPI YJ engine/ AX/5/NP231 drivetrain (should be cake )
  • add power steering, power brakes, and certain modern conveniences.
  • Pull a set of axles from a truck like my 76 Ford from a junkyard (Dana 50 front/9 inch rear)
  • Take the 37 inch muds from my 76 ford and slap em on (put the 33's back on the truck for usefulness)
  • do a SOA lift to clear the suckers.
  • Trim the rear wheel well to fit the tires (NO COMP CUT!!!) I want to keep some semblence of the Jeep look
  • I want to clean the frame up a bit and paint it, along with the body, which needs floors no matter how i slice it... once it works i will figure things out like a cage

All of this to be done for as little as possible on weekends mostly when I come back from school. Having the 4.0 swap under my belt gives me some confidence to take this on now haha
thoughts?

Unread 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #33
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper723
The horsepower figure on the 95 2.5L engine is 120, and I can't imagine I have lost many seeing as it only had about 58k on it when I pulled it out. The CJ-3A only weighs about 2100 pounds, so that is nearly 120 HP per ton, which is pretty respectable considering its a WILLYS. The idea of having a V8 in it seems a bit much for the application I want it for, and I can't believe I didn't think of having the YJ drivetrain in it before.

My plans for this project are as follows:

[*]Start with a very old and tired CJ-3 (not worth restoring for me judging by body damage and budget)[*]Drop in my 2.5L MPI YJ engine/ AX/5/NP231 drivetrain (should be cake ) [*]add power steering, power brakes, and certain modern conveniences.[*]Pull a set of axles from a truck like my 76 Ford from a junkyard (Dana 50 front/9 inch rear)[*]Take the 37 inch muds from my 76 ford and slap em on (put the 33's back on the truck for usefulness)[*]do a SOA lift to clear the suckers.[*]Trim the rear wheel well to fit the tires (NO COMP CUT!!!) I want to keep some semblence of the Jeep look[*]I want to clean the frame up a bit and paint it, along with the body, which needs floors no matter how i slice it... once it works i will figure things out like a cage

All of this to be done for as little as possible on weekends mostly when I come back from school. Having the 4.0 swap under my belt gives me some confidence to take this on now haha
thoughts?
You had me until you said full size axles... If you have to outboard a 7 which is like idk a foot wider your going to have to hack them in a 3. 37's will probably make you taller than you are wide to.

IMO 4 banger stock axles and 33's would be a lot more fun.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #34
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684 View Post
You had me until you said full size axles... If you have to outboard a 7 which is like idk a foot wider your going to have to hack them in a 3. 37's will probably make you taller than you are wide to.

IMO 4 banger stock axles and 33's would be a lot more fun.
I am getting rid of the stock axles for two reasons, and its not without thought... First off, the drop is on the wrong side for the front axle, so thats the problem there. I planned on keeping the rear initially, but as you said any front axle I get is going to be much wider than the stockers, and even 33's might have clearance issues at full stuff with that narrow an axle. As we know the spline count on the originals is not fantastic, among other things, but I think they would have held up to 33's for my style of wheeling. The reason for the 37's is simple... I have them, and I kind of want them off of my F150. Realistically a truck is more useful on the 33's I took off of it. It does sort of pain me to get rid of the original axles, but as I said before, I would like this build to be entirely reliable and useful for many applications, including street driving, so with the extra 10 inches or so of width it should be much safer.

Now as far as it being taller than it is wide, that is really a concern of mine, since I hate the way Jeeps look when they are lifted to the sky for no purpose, but I am going to try to keep that look to a minimum with the stretch I want to do so it won't look so un-proportional. The other issue I have when I see willys builds is the cage (who agrees?). I hate how tall they make it look, I'm not sure if those guys are really tall or what, but I am not, so I want to drop the seat position a hair and make a lower cage, still with safe head clearance however...

Unread 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #35
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is sort of the look I am going for, this one is even a 1951 haha

Unread 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #36
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
This is sort of the look I am going for, this one is even a 1951 haha
That's not bad, not my style, but it looks well done.

Have you looked into mounting the wider axles? Can they be done with severely out-boarding the springs? I'll post a pic of my father inlaws 52 M38 on 33's tomorrow we just finished resto-modding it last summer. Well 95% finished.
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #37
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684 View Post
That's not bad, not my style, but it looks well done.

Have you looked into mounting the wider axles? Can they be done with severely out-boarding the springs? I'll post a pic of my father inlaws 52 M38 on 33's tomorrow we just finished resto-modding it last summer. Well 95% finished.
I would like that. The other reason I kinda want to go bigger on it is that I want something to play hard with, seeing as my YJ is my only reliable vehicle, and I can't afford to break that haha I don't really see why outboarding the springs would be necessary? Please explain your thoughts on that...

Unread 02-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #38
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

looks like youll have something to do for a while.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:

I would like that. The other reason I kinda want to go bigger on it is that I want something to play hard with, seeing as my YJ is my only reliable vehicle, and I can't afford to break that haha I don't really see why outboarding the springs would be necessary? Please explain your thoughts on that...
The out boarding on the Cj5 and 7 is because CJ's have narrow frames so the springs aren't wide enough apart. the passengers side spring perch would have to be part way up the pumpkin to keep the axle centered under the vehicle. I believe the Willys frames were even narrower (but I could be wrong, it did happen once before )
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #40
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well that just makes sense... haha See its thi9ngs like that that you don't think of that will bite you, but I suppose I will have to figure something out when the time comes for that... I do know that it indeed has a pretty narrow frame

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #41
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Well that just makes sense... haha See its thi9ngs like that that you don't think of that will bite you, but I suppose I will have to figure something out when the time comes for that... I do know that it indeed has a pretty narrow frame
I pulled my 7 up nose to nose with the Willys and the Willys looked about a 1/4 to 1/2 inches narrower so you would have to outboard the axles. I hear its not to difficult if you can weld though.

My father in-laws 52 M38.
image-2115293477.jpg  
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #42
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that is gorgeous, if it was in better shape that is most likely how I would build it. One of my buddies has a similar looking CJ-3 but it is restored to stock. I will have to do a ton of welding on it anyways so its just one more thing to add to the list haha

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
row684
1984 CJ7 

Yeah he spent a ton of money on it and then drove it around the block once lol
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #44
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got the fenders cut off (somebody welded them on) and they are pretty much done for.... the seats also got cut out and I was able to get a full idea of the body damage. Its mostly the floor pans and braces that are toast, so I will have to put pans in and patch it all up best as I can. I have to downsize the pictures of the damage to post them.

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #45
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the drivers side fender where the brace is destroyed... I assume this was why it was welded on.
img_0104.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.