5 speed transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 5 speed transmission problems

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 03-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Eric_B_1984
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

5 speed transmission problems

Last week I finally pulled my CJ8 Scrambler home. Yesterday I got the engine to start before dark (I work 6pm-6:30am so I don't wake up at normal times) when I got it to start and run smooth enough I would feel comfortable moving the thing, I got back in it, put it in 1st, released the clutch and NOTHING. For a second I thought, "oh check the clutch fluid" and quickly remembered it is not hydraulic. I did tow it home with the T-Case in neutral. When I release the clutch, I don't even feel anything engage. There is no noise; nothing. I guess my question in all of this is, what should I look for when I wake up. Probably the most important part of this is, the Jeep sat for over 3 years in the same spot. This isn't my first AMC, but it is my first CJ, and my first manual AMC. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Eric_B_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_B_1984 View Post
I did tow it home with the T-Case in neutral.
Is the TC still in neutral, because it won't go anywhere if it is? Move the TC shift lever into a gear and try again.

How far did you tow it home? Normally just putting the TC in neutral for short distances is fine, but the rear drive shaft would need to be removed if towing longer distances.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Eric_B_1984
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post

Is the TC still in neutral, because it won't go anywhere if it is? Move the TC shift lever into a gear and try again.

How far did you tow it home? Normally just putting the TC in neutral for short distances is fine, but the rear drive shaft would need to be removed if towing longer distances.
T-case position was first thing checked, and honestly it was about 35-40 miles. I know I have towed further without popping the driveshaft. Also honestly thanks to mother nature it didn't look like it would come out too easy ;-)
Eric_B_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Trans not in gear - not likely but could try another gear like reverse

Transfer case in neutral - checked - did u try 4H or 4L ? (Don't forget to lock in the hubs)

Clutch linkage - is the linkage connected to the throw out brg lever? This connection is where the adjusting rod fits into a indent pocket in the lever. There's nothing to hold the rod in place except the adjustment and spring tension of the rod.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.