5 speed in a CJ? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 5 speed in a CJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #46
Boxcar
1974 CJ5 

Your delemma is a commen one. Much debated. Almost over debated . In a stockish jeep The early T-5 is ok on a low hp small tire jeep . Finding the correct one is esential .Some (like the YJ 4 banger version are not sutable.)
The ax 15 is probly a better choice for the aformentioned jeep. BUT if you are going to build an off road capable Rig . And I don't meen fire road queen. There are vary fuew choises The NVs or the T-18 are good ones. Thay bothe have drawbacks. And thay both have advantages listed all over this web site. I personly feel that you have to realize you have a JEEP. It is an off road vehical that you can drive on the road. Espesualy if it is a CJ.
Even the factory hasen't had mutch luck making a "perfect dual perpouse rig out of it ) other wise we wouldnt all be converting .So axcept the rigs limitations and be happy A rig that will drive (realy) well on road is not going to be a great off roader and vice versa....Boxcar

Boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #47
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Anyone know any sources of info to would allow a WC T-5 to be used in a Jeep by switching the tailhousing/output shaft and or any other internal parts to make a hybrid and stronger unit? OR using the bearings and syncronizers of the WC into the NWC unit...just thinking....

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #48
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Anyone know any sources of info to would allow a WC T-5 to be used in a Jeep by switching the tailhousing/output shaft and or any other internal parts to make a hybrid and stronger unit?
That's pretty much what you do. Just make sure you start out with a WC unit with the ratios you want. You don't want one with a really tall 1st gear, or necessarily want one with the tall OD, either (that would be more dependent on your axle gearing, motor configuration, and tire size). Hit the links I posted earlier, call/email those places, and ask some questions. They may not sell the trans anymore, but the knowledge is still in their heads and some parts may yet be on the shelves.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #49
pazur
1981 CJ7 

Man it's that simple
Go with ax15 or t18 if you need overdrive or not. t18 is cheaper and IMO the most robust trans for amc258/4 liter. But is missing OD. It is short (good for your driveshaft angle), compact yet heavy.
Go with NV4500 if you have money and have time for conversion. Comparable to t18 strength you get O/D. Quite long, you will need CV driveshaft.
Go with jeep t5 if you have it in the shelves, or like OE look. This is the weakest trans of all of these. But you want to engineer wc/nwc t5? Guarantee it won't work. Even clutch bearing retainer is different between mustang nwc and wc, I did not get further.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #50
shok47
1983 CJ7 

So the mustang t-5 would not be suffice for a jeep then? With light offroading and mainly street.
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #51
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

It would work fine strength wise, but the long tail shaft would not fit well (much too long), it won't bolt to the transfer case, and the first gear is high for off road, IMO, (especially if the axles are not geared to the tire size). Making the jeep tail shaft, output shaft housing, and internal gears work with this case could possibly be done but it won't be cheap or easy.
I would check into the Chevy, WC, T-5, 4wd, truck variant first though; you need to be certain of the first gear ratio (most were NOT 4:1), check the output spline count, diameter and length and you may have to clock the case to get it in the right place. I have considered this swap but not deeply.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #52
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
I would check into the Chevy, WC, T-5, 4wd, truck variant first though; you need to be certain of the first gear ratio (most were NOT 4:1), check the output spline count, diameter and length and you may have to clock the case to get it in the right place. I have considered this swap but not deeply.

Enjoy!
Wouldn't that relocate the shifter significantly farther rearward, or did the 4wd Chevy versions not have the shift tower at the back like the Chevy cars?

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #53
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

The ones labeled, Chevy, that I saw on a shelf at the scrap yard looked close to the Jeep T-5...
As I said more investigation should be done as I haven't looked into this swap in depth (I quit when I found out about the high first gear ratio).

The T-5 shifter position is farther rearward than either a T-176 or a T-18 but how much the Chevy version differs from the jeep I don't know exactly.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #54
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
The T-5 shifter position is farther rearward than either a T-176 or a T-18 but how much the Chevy version differs from the jeep I don't know exactly.

Enjoy!
The difference in shift tower location is rather significant - as in the shifter would be between the seats of a CJ. However, the Chevy pic below is obviously a 2wd unit and it would appear that converting the Chevy T-5 to 4wd would eliminate the shift tower location issue. If you were going to do that, it would only seem logical to go through the effort if the Chevy T-5 gearbox internals were stronger (or it was a WC unit). Otherwise, It kind of sounds like you'd just end up with the Jeep/Ford T-5.

I did a quick search for some images and found this site which has some interesting information to digest, including some torque ratings:

Ford Transmission Options, British V8 Newsletter V12/I1 - January 2004

Ford/Jeep T-5 from the Novak site:

Chevy Camaro T-5:

More images from the BritishV8.org site link above:

I also found pics of an S-10 T-5, which has the shift tower moved forward like the Jeep/Ford version, but the tower is part of the 2wd output.

I was only able to find one picture of what was alleged to be a T-5 from an S-15, but it was only in a gallery on Cardomain and didn't have any information, description or explanation of what exact application it came from. Based on the appearance of the front half of that transfer case housing, I'm assuming it is a 231C. This suggests that the transfer case adapter on the back of the 4wd Chevy T-5 would need to be changed out to the more common 6-bolt NP pattern in order to be used with Jeep transfer cases.

Unread 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #55
skclark
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
X5 on the T-5. I prefer them as I like they way they feel when shifting and the way the shifter springs back to center. Easy to find the gears and the overall gearing matches my driving style. I really need a 5th gear for interstate travel as my stockish CJ-7 sees higher speeds. I also picked up an AX-15 for a future project....we'll see.
What.. your shifter springs back??? That feature must have fallen off mine. I do like my T5. I'd be tempted to try out the short throw shifter mentioned on here. B&M (BM-45107) or the Hurst Billet / Plus shifter (part 391 5045)

Last edited by skclark; 01-22-2010 at 11:30 AM..
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.