5 speed in a CJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 5 speed in a CJ?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 01-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

So I've got the same dilemma. I've got a T176 (was thinking it was a T4, but alas, no). I'd like to got to a T5 also. Gotta change the bell housing, but should the Dana300 still be the same bolt up? It doesn't require a different input shaft, does it? just wanna make sure I've got all the pieces before I go switching things out.....

mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

My dana 300 is bolted directly to my T5. A Jeep T5 has a round pattern like a Jeep Dana 300 does. There are 6 bolt holes mating the two but I believe that you can only put bolts in 5 of the holes since there is something in the way for one hole. At least this is what I remember from taking my dana 300 off last year.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

I know the two are compatible in some incarnation or another. Just wondering if there are different input / output shafts that I should be aware of as I contemplate the exchange of the T176 to the T5...
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

heavy but bullet proof. . . NV4500
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #20
pazur
1981 CJ7 

ax15 is much much stronger than t5. the strongest t5 world-class is rated up to 300 ft.lbs and often breaks in stock mustangs with some mods. and jeep t5 is about 20% weaker. Such adapter as novak sells for 160 bucks + s/h can be welded easily at home for 10-15 US. Shortening+extending+balancing driveshafts may cost more though.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
carldimery
1979 CJ7 

pazur i would like to know more about fabbing your own clocking ring for an ax15 swap, what does it involve?
carldimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
84cjseven
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldimery View Post
pazur i would like to know more about fabbing your own clocking ring for an ax15 swap, what does it involve?
Me too any one have drawings?
84cjseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
My dana 300 is bolted directly to my T5. A Jeep T5 has a round pattern like a Jeep Dana 300 does. There are 6 bolt holes mating the two but I believe that you can only put bolts in 5 of the holes since there is something in the way for one hole. At least this is what I remember from taking my dana 300 off last year.

The Dana 300 does not bolt to the trans. There's an aluminum adapter (factory) between them.

I agree that a T-5 would probably be fine in this scenario. After my own favorable experience with my own T-5, it would be my choice. Stroudcreek, here's a page that will give you some info on how you can improve a T-5. The trans itself that is listed is apparently not available, but it may be worth a call. Check the links at the bottom for some more info on the changes and part mods to give you some ideas:

Jeep T5 5 Speed Transmission Page

T5 5 Speed - Parts - Gears - Transmissions

And for people with money to burn: JT5 Enduro 5 Speed

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #24
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Just wondering if there are different input / output shafts that I should be aware of as I contemplate the exchange of the T176 to the T5...
The Jeep T-5 came in 2 versions the fine input spline (I believe 12 rounded splines) for the 4 cylinder (do not use), or the coarse square shoulder spline input shaft (same as the t-176, I believe 10 spline). Output splines were the same on both.
The T-5 is linger and some holes will, probably need to be drilled in the skid plate for the transmission mount.
The front and rear drive shafts will need modification (the rear can be done nearly free at home with a grinder and welder, the front will need a longer shaft that can be cut down from junkyard shaft or fabbed with your ends and some tubing, of the correct diameter and wall thickness, welding required).

Enjoy!

EDIT)
Quote:
i would like to know more about fabbing your own clocking ring for an ax15 swap, what does it involve?
For the T-5 (and many other transmissions); often no clocking ring is necessary. The existing adapter can, sometimes, be re-drilled to match the desired clocking.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.

Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-10-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #25
pazur
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldimery View Post
you need 2 circles (about 190 mm) with 120 mm holes in the center from at least 1/4" metal plate. see any plasma or laser cutting shop.

and piece of of a pipe with 120-150mm diameter. Drill holes, then weld it together and you end up with much stronger adapter than Novak (because it is steel). Dimensions are approximate, I donīt remember actual. The adapter thickness must be 24 mm +- 1mm is okay. If I have time I will post blueprint.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #26
cincyjeeprs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtweety View Post
So I've got the same dilemma. I've got a T176 (was thinking it was a T4, but alas, no). I'd like to got to a T5 also. Gotta change the bell housing, but should the Dana300 still be the same bolt up? It doesn't require a different input shaft, does it? just wanna make sure I've got all the pieces before I go switching things out.....
T176 is better (stronger) than a T4.
I am really surprised at all of the T5 love. There should be plenty of them out there, since most swaps involve getting rid of them.
The NV3550 is much stronger than the non-WC T5, and it is more compact than the NV4500. Whatever you decide on, remember to consider the bellhousing, clutch slave location (internal/external), flywheel, starter, and driveshaft lengths. It's those little extras that confound the project.
cincyjeeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #27
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudcreek View Post
I am running 4.88 and 35's, in an 86 CJ7 with a T176. I have a 8.8 rear and a 44 front but I sure would like to have a 5th gear for the road. What would be a good 5 speed and has anyone put one in?
I'm working on the same setup except I'm keeping the Amc20. What kind of RPMs are you running at highway speeds?

My jeep originally came with the T5 but I decided to change to a T176 for more strength. But what do I know.

Last edited by Sundowners; 01-11-2010 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: I can't spell
Sundowners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #28
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

The people that seem to have the problems with T-5s are those that jam 33s or larger on a Jeep, that has more than 100,000 miles on it, leave the gearing stock (3.31 2.73) and then try to pull wheelies from stoplights with a transmission that has already exceeded its design life.
On the other hand those of us; experienced enough to pick a good line through the obstacles, that have re-geared to the tire size, gotten the fact that a carburetted 6 cylinder is not even close to a performance engine, and lifted jeeps are not street racers, though our heads have no problem.

In our group we have run T-5s on; 258s, a 4.0, a carburetted 289, and an injected re-cammed 302 HO all without transmission breakage because the vehicles were geared properly and driven well. We even kept a 4 cylinder T-5 alive on difficult (not extreme) trails as an experiment. The last I heard it was still running fine under a different owner.
People blame the transmission when a worn one breaks do to abuse and poor vehicle setup (It couldn't be the driver, must be the transmissions fault..) so the T-5 gets an undeserved bad rep.

Agreed the T-176,177,178 are stronger than the T-4 and an improvement over the SR-4. 3550 transmissions are stronger than the T-5 but the T-5 is up to the challenge of both street use and moderate to difficult wheeling (although the driver might not be). The 35XX series of transmissions are also known for syncro problems (bad materials design selection). The primary reason that I haven't switched is that I have experienced hydraulic clutch issues in the field, several times, on different Jeeps, and am now leery of them... no transmission is perfect.

Enjoy!

(edit) I originally switched to the t-5 after experiencing, multiple, issues with a t-176, in a different Jeep, although the 176 is a good tranny it doesn't have over drive and will not survive long without a pilot bearing (cheap/stupid PO).

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.

Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-14-2010 at 08:12 AM..
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #29
ragner
1983 CJ7 

T4 to AX15

I have had the same delemmia, running 36's geared 4.56, dana44 front, amc20 rear. The T4 would only run 55mph downhill! Since I bought the jeep with the oversize tires. It was cheaper to find the parts so I located a AX15 $125, the adapter $100 the rest of the stuff; slave cyl, clutch,linkage, ect $300. I will also need the drive shafts replaced (worn out) $400 plus some other stuff I am sure..... I should accomplish everything for $1500 hopefully sell someone a great T4... $150 = $1350 vested
ragner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #30
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

ive got a t176 and im looking at the nv3550 my v8 is not built too strong and it has a good first gear ratio
crcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.