5" shackles on front and rear of CJ7 - Adjustable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 5" shackles on front and rear of CJ7 - Adjustable?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
HKlassen
1981 CJ7 

5" shackles on front and rear of CJ7 - Adjustable?

I have recently purchased an 81 CJ7. As I'm going through it, and learning some of the ins and outs of the Jeep, I've realized that the PO put aftermarket shackles on. My understanding is that the standard "hole-to-hole" shackle is 3", and these are 5", which I believe equates to about a 1" overall lift. I've also learned that any lift at the shackles may affect steering feel. Since I'm getting a little bit of drift and the steering doesn't seem to want to center after a corner, I'd like to get this back to standard and see if that helps.

My question is... these shackles have a middle hole at about 3.5" that is not being used. Is is possible that I could just move the connecting point to this hole and be back to Stock? Or is this middle supposed to be a reinforcement point for the shackle that the PO did not install correctly?

Second question... Since I'll lose about an inch of lift, do you think (from the pictures) that I'll end up with a problem with the tires? It would seem that I could absorb an inch of lost lift pretty easily... but not sure what the cascading impact might be.

(Finally, I'm replacing/reinforcing the rear frame next week, prior to replacing the shackles as I am aware it is very rusty)

Thanks for the advice... Turns out that there is more work to do then I first expected... but I guess that will be part of the fun!

psgr-front-shackle-perspective.jpg   psgr-front-shackle.jpg   psgr-rear-perspective.jpg   psrg-rear-shackle.jpg  
Unread 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
CSP

Do those shackles have any kind of crossbar connecting the two sides welded in? I think I see one in the second to last picture.

If not, the empty bolt hole was probably supposed to be a connecting bolt. If there is a crossbar, by all means, use that hole.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Agreed. Any shackle that long should have a support block between. However, your steering issue may not be due to those shackles. That's not a given. You really need to find out what your caster is to know. Caster has some wiggle room and yours is probably to be set between 5 and 7, but 4 may not effect the steering that bad. I've had 5 3/8" shackles on for years without steering problems on the stock springs. Adding caster shims would be your easiest fix once you find out what your caster is, if it is out too far.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Shackles that long have a tendency to "rack" which may affect steering/handling also.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have seen those type of shackles used in the stock height holes several times with the tails hanging down. I would move them up.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Android app double post.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.