4WD light on speedo and D300 connection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4WD light on speedo and D300 connection

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail *VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

4WD light on speedo and D300 connection

I never reconnected the 4wd light when I did my engine swap a few years ago and now I was thinking I should hook it back up.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is the light activated by completing the circuit by grounding in the Transfer Case when it is shifted into 4wd?

2) Would Twin sticks have any effect on this operation?

3) I am worried I may have ripped that wire out a long time ago, does anyone have any pictures of the back of the speedo cluster with reference of the wire and is it just as simple as running a single ground wire to the connector on the TCase?

Thanks as always guys!

Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

It's just like you said. Power goes to the bulb, the ground wire comes from the bulb and goes to the switch on the TC front axle shift rail. When the front axle is engaged, the switch shorts the wire to ground so the light comes on.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

1) yes

2) no, the switch is on the front drive shaft side so unless you do the mod for 2wd low it will activate anytime you engage the outboard rail

3) sorry no picutre but it was a white wire that came up the center of the firewall into a 4 pin connector that also had the neutral start wires in it....
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

You can add a 2nd indicator switch to the shift rails and wire it to two LED's in the dash to indicate what position each output is in.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

Don't mean to hijack but where can you buy the socket for the 4wd light? My grounding shield broke off mine. No big deal but I would like for it to work.
gmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.