4WD Fiberglass tub - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4WD Fiberglass tub

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4WD Fiberglass tub

I just picked up my fiberglass tub. It didn't have any documentation. I have ordered 4WD installation video and kit but from what I have read about it in all the threads the video and instructions are vague at best. Most of the people on the YJ end where I usually hang out stay steel. There is way more experience with the fiberglass here. I am looking to you guys for any input about how to mount the tub. I am looking for input on the best way to mount up the tub and any potential issues.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well I don't know about YJ's but for my CJ, i picked up a stainless steel mounting kit and used that as I've seen a lot of rotted out steel mounting plates.

Depends were you live I guess.

I started alignment off the rear cross member and let the rest of it lie were it may. The front was to iffy in a CJ in my opinion.

I don't know about YJ tubs but CJ's FG tubs had a 1" body lift built in. this lead to som miss matching with stock or fiberglass stock replacement fenders. I got a 1/4" gap between the hood and fender because the PO elected to align the bottom of the fender with the bottom lip of the tub. Looked good until the hood went on.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The CJ and YJ tub are pretty close. Did you use the 4WD tub?
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, but it's an old 4WD tub. My original steel mounts for fiberglass body rusted away so I bought the SS mount kit and Installed it last time I had the tub off.

Funny part was, I bought the mount kit from Quadratech. So I had to drill my own holes
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just got a craigslist deal I couldn't pass up. tub, fenders, windshield, and glass new in the box for 1500.00
I will look at the kit on Quads web site. I am in Michigan so I am with you with the rust and salt. No predrilled mounting holes drilled on the tub or holes in the firewall. I have never dealt with glass so I am trying to understand as much as I can before I start to tackle the installation.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

when you drill holes in the tub, line it with fiberglass resin to keep water from soaking in.

Best would be to epoxy a plastic tube in place. Use large washers on the bolts holding the tub to the frame.
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am waiting for the install kit and video from 4WD. As soon as I get through the video and look at the kit I am sure i am going to have some questions for you. I get what you are saying about sealing any holes I drill to prevent the fiber from soaking up any water. I am in the same boat as far as needing to drill and cut to mount. Did you drill all the way through the mounting points and fiber and bolt on top of the glass or use inserts? I have been reading and the aligning and mounting seems like it could be a little better documented.
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I am waiting for the install kit and video from 4WD. As soon as I get through the video and look at the kit I am sure i am going to have some questions for you. I get what you are saying about sealing any holes I drill to prevent the fiber from soaking up any water. I am in the same boat as far as needing to drill and cut to mount. Did you drill all the way through the mounting points and fiber and bolt on top of the glass or use inserts? I have been reading and the aligning and mounting seems like it could be a little better documented.
Yeah, I managed to use some of the seat bolts to hold the tub to the mounting kit. Other holes were simpler as you have to drill for the OEM mounts.

Also I cut my own rubber mounting pads from a roll you can buy. For some reason not all were the same height but maybe that was because of my TDK frame I was mounting it on.

I adjusted the tub side to side and up and down so the hood and fenders and tub all lined up with no odd angles.

Then I drilled my holes.

The SS mount was tough to drill but someone recommended grinding the drill bit at a certain angle and it zipped through the SS pretty easy. No, don't ask, i forgot what it was now. Fortunately the Drill Doctor I had bought had the right angle.
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
GPER
1979 CJ7 

This is a little bit about my frame swap back in 2000 but I reinstalled my glass tub.
I found the few pictures that I took of this, I did the frame swap back in 2000. Way before I started my lame write up about stuff.

I just started at the top and worked my way down, I pulled the hard top, I removed the hood grill, fenders, then I used an engine hoist to lift the tub with everything still in it off of the frame.
[img]

Then I started at the bottom of the old frame and worked my way up. I put new brake lines, springs, then the diffs and drive train on to the new frame.

I had to drill holes for the winch mount, the parking brake bracket was too far apart my Runk bumpers wouldn't fit the Matkins frame. You buy a level lll frame and they think you are running stock bumpers.

There were things that wouldn't work so I would have to come up with something or refab it. I even had a front shock tower break off after I was done because there was no penetration in the weld.
[/img][img]

If you are going with a glass body.

[/img]

Just make sure you get the glass body flush with bell crank support to start off with the body. If I can be of any help drop me a line gperx4 at ameritech . com.
[img][/img]

Here are the tabs that need to be welded to the seat frames and they are the seat/ body mounts.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/gperx4/Glass%20body%20mounts/DSCN2024.jpg

This is a pic of my front tub mount, the rubber is about an inch thick.The other mount on the left is for my roll cage so that my not apply to you.
[img]

Here is another pic of the mounting plate, the first mount to the right is the same mount that bolts the front of the passenger seat to.

The middle mount is thicker since the body goes up there, but that is the rear of the passenger side of the front seat mount. Then the mount on the far left is the mount behind the seat in the floor of the tub.
[/img]

Here is the mount for my grill, after the tub is mounted, the fenders bolted to the tub. The fenders will dictate where the grill needs to be so the grill and the fenders can be bolted together. Your height may vary since I am using an after market frame
[img]
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics. How did you mount the roll bar? Did you use any metal? I an going to use a steel hood, grill and fenders for now.
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
GPER
1979 CJ7 

The roll bar is mounted on the fender wells with a tie in kit to the frame and the front cage is tied to the frame too.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Goer, how did you tie in? Any stress issues in the glass at the tie-in and body points?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

GPER, what kit did you use and how did you tie in the a pillar and b pillar?
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPER View Post
If you are going with a glass body.

[/img]

Just make sure you get the glass body flush with bell crank support to start off with the body. If I can be of any help drop me a line gperx4 at ameritech . com.....
Yeah, I had problems with that and my AFW frame. The tub support are not vertical.

Also the clutch push arm would run against the tub lip you can see so I positioned it out a bit.

Sometimes you have to get a little innovated.
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Goer, how did you tie in? Any stress issues in the glass at the tie-in and body points?
Roll bar on top of the glass body and the 4wdh tie in kit welded under the glass body. I have no problems with cracking, but I also have the Matkins level III frame. it is 1/4 inch on three sides and 1/2 on the bottom for the skid plate to bolt to. The fame does not twist so the body is fine.

The cage was a kit from 4wdh front hoop with spreaders and I added two center spreaders to mount the cb. An old fender mount roll bar was used to make the family hoop welded to the back of the roll bar. All was done to fit inside the hard top for winter.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.