Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4th gear grinding on T5

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  shadoow 
#1 ·
Recently acquired a 1982 cj7 amp 258 T5 tranny. Changed all fluids. Tranny fluid had gear oil in it which was a chocolate milk brown color. Added pennsoil syncromesh fluid in it. Now 4th gear grinds every time in less I double clutch. Reverse also grinds in less I go to 1st gear than R. Any ideas what to check first? Already checked my clutch pedal play and it moves about 1 inch before the clutch engages. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
Your drive train has wiggle ability and will rotate with torque too much if transmission mount is broken, missing or poorly assembled. It can bring shifter linkage in contact with tunnel cover, usually more a second gear rather than a 4th problem. Just something to check.

#6 ·
I am not a transmission guy, nor do I play one on tv. I installed my t5 after it was rebuilt at a shop, and had to fabricate the torque arm, my transmission rotated a lot until I put a mount in it and corrected the po hacks.

4th is a weird one to be a problem, usually 2nd or 3rd are the finicky gears in a t5, sounds like you may need internal work. Good luck!

Hopefully it is easy, not expensive.

#7 ·
Since fourth gear is up towards the front of the transmission, I would suspect worn Clutch Shaft bearing or the needle bearing that supports the shaft that holds the gear aligned. That bearing is up front as well and is small so it is not very robust. The grinding can be caused by poor alignment, due to worn bearing, with the fourth gear to the Counter Shaft below.

In any case, you are looking at pulling the transmission out for inspection.

#8 ·
sounds like you weren't getting the grinding before changing fluid. Trans likely has some wear that is starting to show up. If you're not ready to tear into it, maybe go back to a straight gear oil to see if that 'remedies' your grinding some. The T4/5 trans would use a GL4 type gear oil. Napa I know has it (75-90 or 80-90 i think).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.