'49 Jeep Willy's Pick-Up Truck Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '49 Jeep Willy's Pick-Up Truck Build Thread

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

'49 Jeep Willy's Pick-Up Truck Build Thread

Guys my GF and I just picked up a '49 Jeep Willy's 4WD Pick-Up Truck for our new project.

It came with a 350 SBC/TH350 out of a '77 Chevy pick-up as well as the stock D18 twin stick transfer case and the stock front and rear axles (Timken rear/D28 front).

Our plans our to build this thing up into a WWII themed hot-rod (but off-road) Willy's.

I should have taken some more pic's before I started the tear down, but I have one decent shot of the Willy's prior to starting to remove bodywork yesterday.

This week I scored a set of 40x13.50x17 BFG MTR's mounted on Hummer H2 wheels and this weekend I will be picking up a matched set 14-bolt rear/D60 front axles (with brakes and hardware) out of a '73 Chevy pick-up.

We're gonna build it big and it will have a lot of cool WWII stuff on it including some pin-up art.

By the way. . .how do you attach pictures in this forum. . .I don't see the manage attachements radio button to do so when I was posting this?

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
350SBC/TH350/NP205, 14-bolt rear/D60 front
40" BFG MTR's on H2 8-lugs
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Deconstruction Day 1

Yesterday I pulled the bed off of the frame (a little harder than it should have been since a previous owner decided that welding the bed to the frame in a couple of spots was a good idea???), pulled the hood, front fenders, and grill shell off of the front end as well.

I dropped the gas tank and removed the fuel lines as the truck has been sitting for 10 years and although I could get it to start using starting fluid at the carb it wasn't drawing any fuel so I'm gonna replace the whole fuel system. . .while I'm talking about it here's the fuel system plan. I'm gonna convert a stainless steel beer keg into a bed mounted gas tank and use -6 braided line and fittings for the entire fuel system. I have found some vintage looking aluminum finned fuel filters and coolers that I'm going to use as well. I haven't fully made up my mind about the fuel pump yet, whether I'm gonna stay with a block mounted mechanical pump or go with a frame rail mounted electric pump.

Then I got out the angle grinder and wire wheel attachment (too bad I don't have my own sandblaster/air compressor) and I got rid of all the surface rust on the outside of the frame (not inside the C-frame yet) from the back to the cab. I'm gonna pressure wash it to get rid of as much of the junk out of the inside of the frame rails and then coat it Eastwood's Rust Converter followed by Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and then follow that up with OD green.

Not bad for one days work all by myself!

I'll post pic's as soon as I figure out how.

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

And the title is in your name? or the GF? LOL.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Title's in her name. . .doesn't matter either way. . .she paid for it, the title goes in her name, she also bought the '79 F-150 4x4 that we have as well. . .so I'm pretty lucky there!

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Deconstruction Day 2

Today I pulled the radiator today (it's an aluminum one. . .so I'm gonna spray it flat black with Eastwood's Radiator paint) and re-wire the fans to be pullers instead of pushers the way the previous owner had it set-up. I also pulled the wiring harness (an EZ-Wiring 18 circuit aftermarket universal harness the previous owner had started) after labeling all the terminals that were already hooked up (wasn't much. . .starter, alternator, water temp sensor/gauge, pusher fans, and the ignition. . .just enough to get it running) and I pulled the cab body mount hardware. All of this in preparation to pull the cab off the frame so I can finish getting rid of the surface rust and prep it for paint.

Next up, pull the drivetrain so that I can start cleaning that up as well. . .but first I need a bunch friends to come over and help pull the cab. . .it's heavier than the bed and I nearly busted a gut getting that off all by myself. . .definitely not gonna try removing the cab alone!!!

I'll post more pic's once the administrator fixes my settings. . .

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Might want to consider boxing the frame especially at the motor mounts, and tranmission mount. couple of place in the rear also. You need to post pics on someplace like photobucket, then link to them. Is your frame tied together from mount to mount with a crossmember or something similar to the CJ's?
It is needed when offroading these frames.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

cool man sounds like a cool project you got going, but it needs a name that goes with the coolness factor of your build. I named all mine, Flyn' Hammer, Eazy Project, Typhoon, Wagon Rust, Little Blue, Rally4. you get the idea.

----------------------

yours should be WW2 themed, and have something mentioning the huge tires and solid drivetrain. off the top of my head, MB 2.0 Truck?

will be following this one.
Unread 08-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

We're calling it the WartHog. . .I like the A-10 Warthog planes. . .and it's gonna be big (and ugly. . .to some) so I think it's fitting. . .

. . .yeah we're definitely gonna box the frame in places. . .and it's already tied together in a few places, but I'm gonna beef it up while the bed, cab, and engine/tranny are out. . .I'm also gonna fab up a much nicer/cleaner tranny/transfer case crossmember/skidplate. Right now it's using a slightly modified skidplate/crossmember from a 90's YJ Wrangler.

Found something funny out today. . .went to go pull the wheels/tires off to get ready for the axle swap (picking up the Dana 60 front/14-bolt rear tomorrow. . .guess that's today now). . .turns out on these crazy Jeep axles the driver's side lug nuts and wheel studs are REVERSE FREAKING THREADED!!! I have NEVER seen or heard of that before. . .the passenger side are normal and the driver's side are reverse thread. . .go figure!

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

haha, yup those lug nuts will get you, got me the first time too.

Warthog...I LIKE IT!
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Today we got the cab off of the frame. . .that took quite a while considering we're working out of a car port and a garden shed type garage!!!

We also got the engine/tranny/transfer case pulled. . .and we picked up a D60 front/14-bolt rear axle set, the guy also threw in a 5-spd. manual trans. and an NP-205 transfer case. . .all for $250! What a STEAL!!!

Tomorrow's plans are to remove the current "wimpy" axles from the frame and get the frame on jackstands. . .remove all the surface rust from the frame and get it ready for paint. We'll also be separating the engine/tranny/transfer case to clean and prep for paint!

I'm gonna try to also get all the pictures uploaded to Photobucket so that we can post up the progress picks so far. . .this project is really flying along at the moment. . .we're hoping to have it back together and driving by the end of September!

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Comanche_

It doesnt happen to be yellow, is it?
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lets see some pictures of this beast man, seems like a pretty cool big build you got going on. Oh and congrats on the GF shes a keeper.
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Need some pictures.
alex211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey that timkin rear end isn't wimpy, its got a 1 ton rating. But it is a tapered 2 piece so you lose some their.

Wow, your working fast, but what is the quality of work? $250 for all that? I would pop the cover off each of them and make sure all looks good, probably is, but just to be on the safe side. I have gotten axles that were "good" but after looking at them closer one was missing a little bit of the pinion.
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #15
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's not yellow. . .

. . .plan is to pop the covers and check the gears for sure. . .gonna check the gear pattern as well to make sure that they are mating up correctly. . .and if for nothing else just to change the oil. . .don't know how long it's been in there???

Quality of the work. . .well we really haven't done anything other than tear down at this point, so there really isn't a lot of quality to that. . .

. . .I am a welder by trade (stick, MIG, TIG, OFW, & fluxcore) so when it comes to that it's all good. . .I've got my own equipment at home and we're gonna build this thing to last. . .that's why we're stripping it down to begin with, there are some budget considerations and some stuff that we would like to do that's just gonna have to wait, but for the most part we're making sure it's done right the first time. . .much rather drive it than work on it, no matter how much I like working on our stuff!

Everything that isn't visible is gonna be stripped, prepped and painted so that no more rust happens. . .what is visible (just the outside of th sheetmetal) we're leaving as is to keep the patina that it's already achieved. . .but it's gonna be a beast. . .if we could afford Rockwell's that's what would be under there, but that would be a little overkill for this size truck!

I'll try and post pic's tomorrow. . .I tried before, but the forum wasn't letting me. . .don't know what the problem was, but I got a message back from the moderator and said he didn't see a problem with my account so I'm gonna upload to Photobucket and hopefully post picks tomorrow.

The reassembly will be slightly slower than the tear down, but that's just because I know I'm gonna find stuff to fix as I go through and I'll have to wait for stuff to show up on the doorstep, but I don't have work again until the end of September so that's pretty much why things are moving along so well right now. . .lot's of time!!!

'49 Jeep Willy's Truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.