46 CJ2A engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 46 CJ2A engine swap

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
therichone
1946 CJ2A 

46 CJ2A engine swap

I have a 46 CJ2A with the original engine. Problem is, it has a crack in the block. I also have a 93 mercury engine, it is the 3.8 ltr V6. I would like to put it in my Jeep. I would get rid of the fuel injectors and all electrical and put on a coil and regular distributor and also a carb.

Can this be done? Are there parts that will allow this engine to connect to the original bell housing?

Thanks

therichone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

I'm not sure that you're going to be able to find an adapter for that Ford V6. Novak-adapt.com has adapters for the Ford I4 OHC motors and the Ford Windsor V8s. You have the T90, which is a great transmission and will hold up under even V8 power. If you asked me, I would try and find a GM Iron Duke or a Vortec 4.3L V6 and swap that in with the GM adapter for the T90.
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
high51977

the ford 3.8 shares its bell patern with the ford small V-8 (windsor) engines so adapting shouldn't be a problem. question is can you get intake and carb to fit it? also you want to be sure the 3.8 was out of a rear wheel drive car if not, the mounts will present a problem and the fwd 3.8 was JUNK (IMO of course but I have had both)
Unread 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Are you saying Mercury as in the car (junk), or Mercury as in OMC/Mercruiser? The OMC swap would be GM, not Furd.
Unread 04-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
high51977

I was saying the ford 3.8 in the taurus/sable platform was a weak engine. in cougar/t-bird/ltd platforms they were better/ more dependable and much less prone to head failure.

edit: oops read your post wrong Jayhawk ... and that is a good question when I read it I automatically assumed car.
Unread 04-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
slacker92104

I would keep that fuel injection if at all possible. It makes for a much more enjoyable jeep.
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I agree. Keep the FI if possible.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.