401 TFI upgrade with MSD stuff wiring help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 401 TFI upgrade with MSD stuff wiring help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
aallison28

401 TFI upgrade with MSD stuff wiring help

I have a bare motor and I'm building the wireing harness using a hotrod harness. So here is my problem......

I have a Motorcraft Distributor and am doing the Ford TFI system. I have the wiring diagram for the V8's that show how to incorporate the dizzy, MSD module, ford ecore coil and how to wire the battery.

I got the wiring diagram from here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...-v-8-a-581179/

Now my question is I need to incorporate the Adjustble Timing Control module into the wiring MSD part 8680. The MSD site is not real clear on the wiring.

I also have a tach adapter, MSD 8920 that I can't figure out how to wire into the ignition.

With Luck, there is a modified wiring diagram here.

Is this correct as drawn and how do I put in the Tach Adapter?

Thanks........

team-rush-msd-timing-control.gif  
aallison28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
aallison28

any thoughts?
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
aallison28

knock-knock.........
Unread 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Magical_Merlin
1976 CJ5 

I wired my jeep exactly the same. I used the '79 CJ7 Distributor(Ford). It looks to me that the wiring for the spark control is correct. I am adding this to mine also. I also have the Howell TBI and I have a 401. If you have any more questions let me know.
Magical_Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

That's interesting, I wouldn't think it would work since the 'Small Red' wire needs to be hooked to a positive source (Ignition Swtich) for the Module to operate...

Unless I missed something (Very Possible), there is no positive source to swtich the CDI module 'ON' for use.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Magical_Merlin
1976 CJ5 

The instructions say to splice the red wire of the timing controller to the little red wire of the CDI which is wired to accessory on, as shown in the OP schematic. It should work.
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
aallison28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
That's interesting, I wouldn't think it would work since the 'Small Red' wire needs to be hooked to a positive source (Ignition Swtich) for the Module to operate...

Unless I missed something (Very Possible), there is no positive source to swtich the CDI module 'ON' for use.
OK, so the diagram I put up shows the "SMALL RED WIRE" attached to the Red Wire of the "TIMING CONTROL UNIT". It appears, after looking at a different diagram in the MSD book, that does show the "SMALL RED WIRE" attached to the "RED WIRE" and a third connection to the IGNITION KEY.

I updated the diagram. Does this look right?
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Magical_Merlin
1976 CJ5 

That looks great!
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I didn't want to be a pain, but you didn't show the spice, so I wasn't sure you were splicing or just connecting directly.

I use the timing control on ANYTHING I use for towing since with a heavy load and older vehicles, there isn't any knock sensor or way to turn back the timing.

Also allows me to jack the timing up when I'm running premium fuel and take advantage of that better fuel.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
aallison28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I didn't want to be a pain, but you didn't show the spice, so I wasn't sure you were splicing or just connecting directly.

I use the timing control on ANYTHING I use for towing since with a heavy load and older vehicles, there isn't any knock sensor or way to turn back the timing.

Also allows me to jack the timing up when I'm running premium fuel and take advantage of that better fuel.
No, not a pain at all!! I appreciate all the help!!

I showed a connection next to the "red Wire" box. ON another page of the MSD book, is shows a white wire leaving the Timing Control Unit and going to the "From points or electronic ignition amplifier (original coil wire)" wire.

The MSD book shows the Red wire of the timing control attaching to the red wire as indicated. However, it lists the wire from the ignition coil as the wire that used to go to the original coil + wire.

Like this, revision #3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.