4" YJ lift= 4" CJ, and questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4" YJ lift= 4" CJ, and questions.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

4" YJ lift= 4" CJ, and questions.

So I have 2 ways I'm thinking of going with lift.

I'm thinking BDS 3.5" YJ springs
Crab tree CJ/YJ shackle hangers
Crab tree HD 1/2" lift YJ shackles
and M..O.R.E. HD steering box mount, moves the box forward to work with YJ springs.
Ford F250 shock mounts
Shocks are undecided
Run with 33x12.5-15

I could run the above with the stock axles and spacers until I can upgrade to D44s
I think that this combination would offer very good flex for a 4" SUA, I have tried to chose the flattest spring I could and the right compensates to allow them to work to their potential.

But even though it is 4" of YJ lift I'm not positive it will = the lift I need on a CJ.
Also I spec'd 1/2" lift YJ shackles. YJ shackles are longer than CJ ones any way and I'm concerned they may be too long on a CJ, or look like rabbit teeth.

Any one have pictures of a CJ on a similar set up?
Comments on my proposed suspension.

The other option is more expensive and is dependent on my finding the axles first, I'd have to make it a LONG term project.
SOA 33/35s custom Alcan springs (flat like stock yj but reverse rolled eye like Rubicon express, HD sreering boy mount that relocates the box forward, high steer, and some kinda D44 that is around 58-60" I know doing it right is key.

spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
But even though it is 4" of YJ lift I'm not positive it will = the lift I need on a CJ.
I asked this recently an no one had the answer. Good luck!
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Lpat
1984 CJ7 

I have SOA on my cj7 with stock springs but they are sagging badly in the front. I bought some Rubicon reverse eye springs but I never installed them because I am now planning to sell the jeep. if you want I will sell you my rubicon express reverse eye springs and cj to yj conversion shackles and new spring plates for the wider springs. I think try are the best choice for SOA because they will not sag nearly as fast as other springs.
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Lpat
1984 CJ7 

also 4" of yj lift will not equal 4" of cj lift I'm pretty sure. yjs came with "flat" springs stock and cjs came with curved springs stock
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpat View Post
also 4" of yj lift will not equal 4" of cj lift I'm pretty sure. yjs came with "flat" springs stock and cjs came with curved springs stock
This is my theory as well, and they have taller shackles stock as well.
My theory is that the biggest part of the YJ conversion thing is that the better ride and flex is actually a by-product of going to flatter springs and a shackle that allows them to move smoothly. Now the fronts are +2 longer also so perhaps they have the same height but the arc is more gradual (flatter) in that case the height could be the same or close??

But I can never get a straight answer. its always it varies, or it depends.
Well that's not good enough and doesn't cut the mustard.
Think about it, the ride height stock for stock is going to be a fixed constant. therefore the + lift will be a presumed constant deviation from that height.
When you change from stock YJ springs you are getting a fixed height difference +/- and any + from there will be a constant. Manufactures variances aside.
So if you switched to stock YJ springs from stock CJ, how much did your height change, and was it + or-?
Other wise nobody could clame + a specific number.
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpat View Post
I have SOA on my cj7 with stock springs but they are sagging badly in the front. I bought some Rubicon reverse eye springs but I never installed them because I am now planning to sell the jeep. if you want I will sell you my rubicon express reverse eye springs and cj to yj conversion shackles and new spring plates for the wider springs. I think try are the best choice for SOA because they will not sag nearly as fast as other springs.
Thanks for the offer, I was going to go with custom Alcans because the Rubis are + 2.5 and SOA is already at the max height I'd want on a CJ5
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The best thing to do is to call BDS and ask what the difference in 3.5" lift springs is between Yj and CJ. Ten the second best thing to do is report back because apparently you're not the only one who has asked what the difference is.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I'm working on a similar setup. I can't attest to the specs on as that's not my style and I never measured height before I started to install. Here is a picture of my half way done bds 3.5" yj lift with Crabtree hangers and 1/2 in lift Crabtree shackles. As you can see I only have the rear done and I should mention that I also have a 1" BL already on there. Maybe this can give you some perspective though. It's still sitting on 31s.
RedRaiderCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Nevermind, I guess the forum doesn't allow my pictures anymore. They're too big? If you think that can help you inbox me your number or something and I can send you some.
RedRaiderCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Here are pictures of my tie rod and drag link for comparison. Notice they are both perfectly parallel.
One is with stock CJ springs, and the other with stock YJ springs.
The CJ springs were both 4 leaf. The YJ springs are 4 in front, 5 in the rear. Capacity rates are almost the same as before.
It sits at the exact same height as it did before.

Unread 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

skizriz,
Are you using the same length shackles with both CJ & YJ springs?

and do you think that the springs are the same height, but that the curve is more gradual in the YJ?
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

CJ springs.

YJ springs.
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
skizriz,
Are you using the same length shackles with both CJ & YJ springs?

and do you think that the springs are the same height, but that the curve is more gradual in the YJ?
The same shackles were used in the pictures. 4" eye to eye. I just changed them yesterday to 5" eye to eye shackles.
The way I can tell what springs were on in the pictures, is by the driving lights on the front. I took them off for the frame swap, and never put them back on again.

They both sat pretty much flat. MY cj springs were only 4 leafs, so they were as soft as they could get.
The YJ springs had a lot of arch to them before I put them on. I thought they were possibly 2.5" lift springs. But once I put the weight on them, they flattened right out.
The back may have lifted up abaout an inch, but that was due to my CJ springs being bent in the rear right before I changed them.
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

so it seems that the CJ & YJ springs are equal lift, SO YJ length shackles would be + size on a CJ.

So I might go BDS 3.5 and CJ +1/2 shackles to reach 4"

I did Email BDS but am still waiting on a reply.
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
SO YJ length shackles would be + size on a CJ.
Exactly. Stock YJ shackles are 1" longer.
Stock cj shackles are 3" eye to eye.

The 3.5" YJ springs would be factored with 4" shackles.
So you would need 5" shackles to reach your 4" of total lift.

Correct????

I just ordered the shackle plates from Besrk. Then added my own hardware.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.