4 inch Rough Country Lift on 28 inch tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4 inch Rough Country Lift on 28 inch tires

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
CrazyFlippinCJ7
1977 CJ7 

4 inch Rough Country Lift on 28 inch tires

I have a 1977 cj7 and i want to get a lift kit for it. A rough country 4in lift is the cheepest i found but i'm worried it might be too high. Does anyone have any thoughts on that and how it would effect the handling. Another reason i like the lift is because it'll replace my old shocks, and leaf springs which are rusted out. The 2.5in lift doesn't come with the shocks and is only $30 cheaper.

CrazyFlippinCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Well, 4" and stock tires does look funny. Very tippy in the corners and don't forget the need for a 4" dropped pitman arm. If you upgraded to 31's I would say ok, but still need the arm and shocks. You really need to think about what you use your Jeep for and futre build up. If you are going to stay with the 28's, I would recommend a YJ stock spring swap. All you need is the springs, front spring plates and might have to widen the front shackles to 2 1/2". Shocks are a dime a dozen for stock set ups.

Save your money if you just want to replace your leafs until you decide you want to run bigger tires IMO.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bard is right on. also, you have narrow track axles, which will amplify the problem.

do it once, do it right.

find out exactly what you want your Jeep to do, and how you want it to look/perform, and build your plan from there.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Ride Red

I put a similar Rough Country lift on my CJ-5 back in July and it was an all inclusive kit. It had new leaf springs, shocks, transfer case drop kit, and a new drop pitman arm and to top it off I had 33x12.5 BFG's. It made all the difference in the world. But as Hoss mentioned, your axles are quiet narrow so it made my CJ a little tippy on the road, but especially on the trails. If you do the lift I would recommend to go wide and go tall at the same time.
OlllllllO
Ride Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
CrazyFlippinCJ7
1977 CJ7 

Thnx for the replies, The thing is i would eventually get a 2.5 lift when i replace my tires for bigger ones, I don't think it makes sense to get brand new leaf springs, and then 3 months later get highlift leaf springs with a suspension lift kit. Then i would have wasted couple hundred dollars, so I want to get a lift with new springs but not too big that i can't drive good with 28s. I want to have a jeep with a little bit bigger tires and lift then stock, for offroading once and a while, but not an extreme offroader, 32's will prby be the biggest i go. I will replace my bfg all terrains this summer, 32in tires of some sort, looking at bfg all terrains again, but also tsl radials, for the more aggressive look, any thoughts on those? This is my first car and daily driver.
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
luckycheesehead

I found this when I was looking back a few months ago...maybe it'll be helpful to you. Be sure and look at the CJ section (2nd one down) and not the YJ or any other section.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261349

I have 33's on my stock '84 Jeep CJ7 (no lift) and don't have any problems. I finally got to take it out into a gumbo rice field last weekend and it performed awesome, very minor rubbing of the plastic fender flares. Any other time I don't have any rubbing at all, it was just the major trenches that a combine made that made my tires rub. I'm not saying that it would be the same for your Jeep, but that's what mine does.

GO PACK GO!

Last edited by luckycheesehead; 02-28-2008 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: forgot some info
luckycheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You only need a 2.5" lift for the 32's. Brand for brand, a 2.5" lift will ride better than the same manufacturer's 4" lift. Also, the 2.5" generally won't get you into more mods to correct steering, brake hoses, and rear driveshaft angles. Do yourself a favor and don't shop by price...you generally get exactly what you pay for and for a daily driven Jeep, you want something soft...you don't get that with cheap springs.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
crownsey54
1983 CJ7 

so are all jeeps(cj) narrow track? i have a 83 cj7 just wondering.
crownsey54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownsey54 View Post
so are all jeeps(cj) narrow track? i have a 83 cj7 just wondering.
your '83 is a wide trac (first year), they came that way from the factory. only '82 and older came from the factory with the narrow trac.

Hoss

Unread 02-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
crownsey54
1983 CJ7 

sweet thxs for the info. is it a good thing that i have a wife track?
Unread 02-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownsey54 View Post
sweet thxs for the info. is it a good thing that i have a wife track?
only if you don't trust her...

Hoss

Unread 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Jayson44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

unless you have a cj5...then they have narrow tracks...like me!

x2 on the wife track...

J.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #280
I build websites
Jayson44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
crownsey54
1983 CJ7 

i meant wide track lol
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
CrazyFlippinCJ7
1977 CJ7 

Thnx for all the posts, what i'm goin to do is get 4 new stock leaf springs new shocks, and put a 1-2inch body lift with my stock tires, then in 6months or so, when i have enough for bigger tires(32in) I will get 2.5in high lift leaf springs, I thiink then i won't have any problems where i have to redo everthing like jeepskate mentioned
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Complete waste of time & money...think about it. You're going to spend a few hundred bucks on a new stock suspension and body lift...mid-range 2.5" lift will run you about the same money, not to mention that buying the stock stuff puts you back at square one for saving up again.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.