4 inch lift questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4 inch lift questions

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
cjman15
1986 CJ7 

4 inch lift questions

i was wondering what brands(under $800 please) are good lift kits. please take into consideration i am 15 years old with virtually no money, and im paying for everything on my 1986 cj7. i was hoping to do a 4 inch sua lift kit and a 2 inch body lift. anyone ever done this? can i fit 35s under it? im runing stock 3.31s, can i run 35s with this gear ratio? please help!!

cjman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
jarvi99
1981 CJ8 

I'm running 33s on a black diamond 3" lift with 3.31 gear ratio. Fitting 35s starts to affect more angles than your budget will probably allow. For example, I just flipped my tie-rod and drag link. Well worth it I just didn't plan on that expense. I don't think to many of us will recommend a body lift more than an inch. You can get longer shackles, but that will affect your caster angle and the jeep will start to wander. Sometimes a 4in lift will require driveline work as well.

What are you using the jeep for?
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

The BDS kit runs within that budget. That combination should allow you to run 35s. I'd expect a little bit of rubbing. You could add in .5" shackles. Tj flares would also be a cheap way to trim up. 35s and 3.31 is going to lug around, but it'll still let you get it going from a stop. Definitely not as bad as 2.73, but you'll find out that you will eventually want to regear. Hope you got a part time job
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
cjman15
1986 CJ7 

thank you for the replys. my jeep will be my dd as well as offroad, im going to be mudding and all around off roading. not to heavy on the rock crawling. i know i have about $500 saved up, but my dad is making me pay for all the "custom" stuff. im debating on either 33s or 35s. witch would be better for what im going to be doing? by the way my cj is a manual 4 speed.
cjman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
rainjeep
1985 CJ7 

Go with 4" lift and 33s you will have plenty of clearance and won't have to worry about shackles or body lift. + 3.31 gears is good.
rainjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You will really struggle on 35 s with that gearing. If you have standard tyres it will work fine but anything larger than 31" and you will find it progressively harder to accelerate and your fuel consumption will be abysmal at highway speeds. The chart below sets out the gear ratios needed to keep the engine bubbling at 2400-2600 rom at 55mph, the ideal speed for economy and a good indication you will have the gears lower down to accelerate briskly. If you look at your gearing you will see how far you are away. I doubt your rig will reach 60mph in top gear even with the accelerator jammed right down with 35" tyres and fuel consumption would likely be in single figures. 35" tyres are also gobblers of fuel and will affect thebraking ability of the rig.

I know it is frustrating but it is not easy to just buy kit and build a monster truck, there are plenty of rigs on here which have taken years to build and $1,000s in heavy mods to run 35s reliably in serious off roading. I personally find that 31" tyres, a mild 1" lift on the shackles on a 4.1 gearing and reading the trail gets me most places around here reliably for minimum bucks and can run as a DD with enough acceleration to keep up with the traffic flows. Check out my profile and you will see a mild lift and increase in width.

The other rule of thumb is to only lift a vehicle to get larger tyres under it as each inch of lift compromises the mechanicals. The largest standard lift tyres which will not rub are 31". If you ran 35" tyres you could in theory get away with 2" of suspension lift but most people find rubbing with less than 3". Body lifts do little for me as they just look wrong but are dirt cheap to gain tyre clearance.

Once you have a bit of clearance you can start to think about wheel articulation and how to get that power on the ground.
gear4.gif  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.