4 inch lift on 80 CJ7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4 inch lift on 80 CJ7

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-06-2002, 07:19 PM   #16
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I think he meant...

4" suspension
+ 2" shackle lift

6" of lift may work for 37s, but you're going to rub on the trails...

So basically you can get a 1" Daystar body lift and maybe cut out some of the fenders and you're atleast do-able.

Unread 12-06-2002, 07:25 PM   #17
rustyCJ

-shrugs, the way i read it is that he is going to add a 4" lift and has been running 37s without a lift. the whole shackle deal is someone completely diff. just curious
Unread 12-07-2002, 12:41 AM   #18
rednek

clarification

I have been running a 3" body and 2" shackle. I have no rub on the street. On the trails that is a different story. I am putting the 4" suspension lift on and taking off the shackle lift. And I plan on some feneder modifications.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 10:05 AM   #19
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

I get a good laugh everytime someone says you need a CV shaft for a 4in lift on a CJ. I have been running a 4in lift with no tcase drop, no motor mount lift, with a plain jane driveshaft. No vibes here until i did my rear swaps. When i installed the 9in i picked up a few vibes around 35mph. But i just thought it was the bad pinion angle that everyone said a 9in makes. Well after looking at it and thinking about it. I relized i have a correct pinion angle and gained 2inches of driveshaft, because the 9in pinion is shorter. So the problem ended up being the tranny mount was broke. New tranny mount and no vibes. My bro in law has 6in trail master springs on his CJ (No longer made). No vibes there either and thats with 38" swampers. The whole CV shaft is way overmade. Tom Woods loves you guys that spend 350 bucks for his shafts. Heck for about 100 bucks you can get the same shaft. Go to the junk yard find a heavy shaft, go to your local truck shop and have them cut the shaft down. So 50 bucks for a used shaft and another 50 to have it cut. Mum thats 250 bucks in your pocket. So no offense to anyone but you do not need a CV shaft for a 4in lift on a CJ. You can also run the stock shafts. But make sure you double check the length if your running so kind of goofy long shackle. Also becareful here because some lift springs off center the centering pin and push the axles back or forward.
pontiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 12:06 AM   #20
rednek

thank you pontiac58

pontiac58, Thank you. That is what I had been wanting to hear. I work offshore so I won't be home for a while but all the lift equipment is in my shop and I will be trying to put it all on without extending D/S or CV shaft. Thanks again.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn

Last edited by rednek; 12-10-2002 at 11:18 PM..
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.