4 inch lift on 80 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4 inch lift on 80 CJ7

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-06-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
rednek

4 inch lift on 80 CJ7

I am putting a 4" spring lift on my 1980 CJ7. will I need to extend the driveshafts or will I still have enough splines to compensate with axle drop?

rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

That a very common lift, and I can't recall ever hearing that it required extendend 'shafts. You may get some driveline vibrations due to the angle. Anyway, when you install it, with the suspension fully drooped, you should be able to tell if the driveshaft is OK or not.

But, as I said, I never did it before, so I can't say for sure.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 09:40 AM   #3
MR.CJ-7

I think I am running about the same amount of lift. I started with a 2.5" suspension lift, then later added 2" shackles. I don't know if it is equivalent to doing a 4" lift, but I have never had a driveshaft problem. I do have a very slight vibration in the rear shaft that started after the shackle lift, but it is only noticeable if you put your hand on the T-case lever at about 40 mph. Below or above that speed it is gone.

Just my $0.02 worth though

Good luck
Unread 12-06-2002, 09:56 AM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

That's because of your 2" Shackles...

This is only my opinion, but avoid shackles that give you more than .5" of lift. If you want beefy shackles, that's cool, but realize the higher you go, the more you affect the driving characteristics of the jeep.

Yes, it's a cheap way to get some lift, but I'd rather do a 1" body lift and a 1" shackle lift rather than taller shackles.

I've seen people with 4" shackles...Jeep handles like a rollercoaster.

A 4" lift kit will require 2 degree - 4 degree axle shimming as well as a transfer case lowering kit.

If you want to avoid the whole vibration scenario altogether, invest in a CV style driveshaft for around $230.
Unread 12-06-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
cj5goliath
1980 CJ5 

I agree with jadams68....shackle lifts are the worst way of getting lift. It only raises one end of your leaf spring...which throws the angle of your driveshaft off....causing vibrations. You might wanna carry a few u-joints with you.

As far as the 4" suspension lift.....definitely go with the cv style driveshaft. You'll need to have your rear axle rotated up to do this.

I did the same thing last year on my jeep....then I ordered a driveshaft from Tom Woods....and it was on my porch 3 days later. Talk about a heavy duty driveshaft!!!

Good luck!!

http://www.cranked-up.com
cj5goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 11:17 AM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Ditto on canning the shackles and the picking up a CV shaft. Remember though, you gotta put a CV style yoke on the transfer case too so plan for that in the price (Tom Wood charged me close to $100 for the yoke when I ordered my shaft. I paid like $350 total shaft + yoke). Good luck.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 11:38 AM   #7
rustyCJ

a 4" lift kit usually comes with a transfercase drop so the driveshaft problem is eliminated so no you wont need longer/CV shafts.

if you buy 2" lift shackles you only really get bout 3/4"(or less) of an inch in lift because it only raises one end of the spring and your axle sits in the middle. lift shackles on the rear dont really affect driveability at all, the extended shackles on the front eliminate the castor of the front axle which causes the wandering/scary ride.
Unread 12-06-2002, 11:52 AM   #8
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

We were referring to larger shackles that do indeed produce 2" of lift.

Also, many people claim to have mild to severe driveline vibes even with a t-case drop on a 4" lift. A lot of people don't understand the pinion angles and don't shim the axles correctly.
Unread 12-06-2002, 12:27 PM   #9
rustyCJ

in order to lift a jeep 2" with shackles they would have to be atleast 9 inches long from bolt to bolt. stock CJ shackles are only 3"s. now figure in that for every inch you lift the end of the spring you only raise the axle a lil over a quarter inch. i can honestly say that i havent ever seen any shackles this long on a jeep.

Also, i cant help it if people try to put on a 4" lift before understanding driveline angles and how to correct them. A 4" kit should(some dont)come with everything to lift your jeep 4"s without any steering/drivline problems.
Unread 12-06-2002, 12:36 PM   #10
cj5goliath
1980 CJ5 

It doesn't really matter how much lift you can obtain from longer shackles. Anything over stock is throwing the angle of the pinion off.....and the longer the shackles are over stock....the farther out the pinion angle is. Vibrations WILL occur....and u-joints WILL fail. The ONLY way to get around this....is to use degree wedges. Unless some idiot (which I've read a few things lately that gives credit where it's due) decides to rotate his spring perches for a damn shackle lift....in which case....why bother?

http://www.cranked-up.com
cj5goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #11
rustyCJ

i hate lift shackles! that being said to clarify things. you forgot bout MMLs. they can help to eliminate driveline vibe caused from lifts of any type.
Unread 12-06-2002, 02:09 PM   #12
MR.CJ-7

My mistake on the shackle lift length. I guess I don't know how much lift I have total then. I did see a little more sway with the addition of the shackles, but it's not that bad even with the sway bar disconnected. I guess I have been lucky with U-joints too. 60K miles to date with the shackles/lift on without having to change the driveshaft U-joints. Now wheres the wood I think I need to knock on it!
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:30 PM   #13
rednek

thanks

Thanks for all the help. I have the drop pitman arm, new springs, new shocks, new U-bolts, and new poly bushings. All I have to do now is get to the house and put it all on. Then I should have my problems with tire rub (37 x 13 Boggers) fixed.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:34 PM   #14
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Well that will help you going down the street... But with 37s I'd imagine you'll get tire rub a' plenty when wheeling.
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #15
rustyCJ

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by rednek
Thanks for all the help. I have the drop pitman arm, new springs, new shocks, new U-bolts, and new poly bushings. All I have to do now is get to the house and put it all on. Then I should have my problems with tire rub (37 x 13 Boggers) fixed.
umm you are running 37s without a lift? you think a 4" lift alone will eliminate rubbing probs with 37s? how are you fitting 37s without a lift, let alone drive with them on?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.