4 heater cores in 12 years - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4 heater cores in 12 years

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
agear
1984 CJ7 

4 heater cores in 12 years

I've had to replace my heater core several times before. Is there anyway to make the heater core stronger and less likely to leak ? Any idea what's making it leak ? What keeps happening ? Is it a mounting issue ? Do I need some more padding between the firewall and heater box ?

I have an 84 jeep cj7 4.2L

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Are you running well water?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I'm guessing corrosion is your issues. Flush your whole system before you replace it, then use distilled water and a quality antifreeze.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Where were they made? China??
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

AG,
I have seen BIG differences in the ones I purchased at AZ or Advance compared to the last one I bought at Federated. I don't know if you guys have them down there but if it is the solder that is cracking where the tubes meet the bundle the look them up (or let me know and i'll send you one from up here. I had 1 from AZ crack just working it through the firewall the first time....
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yes, that is too many too soon. I average 1 every 12 years. What conditions have the last 4 failed? Leaking at the fins, or at the joints?

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

My OEM core started to leak and I just resoldered it. Still going strong after 28+ yrs.
LG
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
agear
1984 CJ7 

I don't know if I'm running well water-its the water from my hose and coolant.
Its a new radiator and recent remanufactured engine so I'm not worried about flushing. But I use prestone and will use distilled water.
This address on the instructions, and warranty information is pro source heater cores in Texas and is a ready-aire from advance auto.
I don't know where this one is leaking yet because I haven't got it out yet but in the past and this time as well the issue leakage. In the past leakage from the fins I think. I will let you know later, where this one is leaking.
Thanks, check back later
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
agear
1984 CJ7 

Okay, I got it out. But sorry guys, I just sorta yanked the b@#$% from under the dash and may have damaged the heater core more in the process so you may not be able to tell what was wrong in the first place now. But you can see the tell tale green stuff on the fins. Is it me or are these things extremely fragile how they're soldered to that bracket and the tubes to heater core ? I did not remove the dash to do this. For once I want to proceed very slowly and avoid damaging this on installation. So, also, do you have any tips for that too ? Well I tried to post pictures but no dice using photobucket.
So there was green stuff on the fins by one of the tubes

There was rust around where 1 of the tubes is soldered to the heater core

There was green stuff where the bracket was soldered on and that bracket broke off

And there was green stuff on the fins on the side
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Green stuff is corrosion from water. My bet would be just bad luck from the cheap heater cores they make for our CJ's.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Some coolant is green in color. Makes it easy to find in 'blacklight'.
LG
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
agear
1984 CJ7 

Yeah, I think the green stuff was the corrosion from the water on the copper. Waiting for the battery to charge for my drill. Because the heater core tubes and screw holes aren't lining up with the heater box holes.........
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
agear
1984 CJ7 

I didn't want to work in the jeep at night and tweak something that I can't see. So that's all for the night. I'll probably grind the holes for the tubes in the firewall, bigger , seeing how I had to do that to get the tubes to line up with heater box holes. I might have needed to do that but overlooked on previous heater core installs. I'll let you know how it's going tomorrow. I'm off for the week.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
RWise
1981 CJ5 

I agree that quality is going down hill, but if they be working for others,,,
My thought is electrolisis, in this case an electrical current flowing through the heater core into the coolant and off to find a ground in the engine block (or radiator). Yep that is what I am saying, a bad ground!
Good luck!
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

my dodge diesel forum says to use distilled water in cooling system on the truck. otherwise it can cost you big money down the road with that engine.
and also special coolant.

so I always use distilled water in the cooling system of all my vehicles, jeep included.

I bought my cj7 1984 replacement heater core from Quadratec,

it was more money than some have stated in the above responses, from the local parts houses.

but the heater core appeared to be well made and I handled it like a new baby, as I did not want to do this job again.

so far, and that was many years ago, no leaks,

I rarely use the heater anyway, if it ever went out again I would just connect the heater hoses together under the hood and let the coolant circulate without going to the heater.

was not worth the trip for me to repair it.

but then again I enjoy riding and driving my jeep, not a die hard mechanic who had rather work on it, than drive it.
wellmax is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.