4 cyllinder carb trbl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4 cyllinder carb trbl

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 01-09-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
86kaicj

4 cyllinder carb trbl

Seems my 86 CJ7 has had carb trouble from the get-go. I have records reflecting repeated repairs and replacements over the years through the last 2 owners. I bought it last year with a sparkling new carb, but still ended up replacing the float a few months later. It fixed things... but only for a while. I've never been able to get the (automatic) choke and idle properly balanced, and things are getting worse yet again. I'm constantly flooding and leaving a trail of smoke in my wake.

Any ideas? I've heard of affordable carb mods, but only for the larger engines, and I'm not in a financial position to go all out on a FI kit. In the mean time, I'm entertaining the idea of ripping out the auto-choke in favour of the old manual cable. Help?

Unread 01-10-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

I will do some searching for your carb on your 4cyl cj i will try to get back to you if i find some info.Good luck.Later,Gary
Unread 01-10-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
glm 87 wrangler

Is your motor a AM 150 if you can give me some info on your motor would be a big help.
I do think weber makes a carb for your jeep
The problem will be the price maybe.if you do not want to spend the money on it.It runs about 346.00 bucks but it is a 2bbl upgrade.So it will give you more power.But all in all more info would be a great help.Oh by the way i dont try to push weber carbs but i have had better luck with them in a number of cars and trucks and my VW bug i had years ago.They are just a little more user friendly
than other carbs i have delt with.A manual choke may help with your problem but i had no luck with it in my jeep on the carter that i had.Well Later,Gary
Unread 01-11-2002, 07:04 PM   #4
86kaicj

Thanks GLM
The engine is, as you guessed, the AMC 150 I-4. I found out a whole bunch of other info in my search, thanks to an awesome website:www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/.

Bore x Stroke 3.88" x 3.19"
Displacement 150ci (2.5L)
Compression Ratio 9.2:1
Horsepower (net) 105@5000
Torque (net) 132@2800
Main Bearings 5
Valve Configuration OHV
Fuel 1bbl

Don't know enough about engines to know what (if anything) helps.

Thanks for trying!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.