4 cyl>6cyl - Where to Begin? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4 cyl>6cyl - Where to Begin?

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
ColtsFan

4 cyl>6cyl - Where to Begin?

Got an 85 CJ7 (4cyl/T-4 tranny) whose engine is dead meat (cam is shot, valves not seating, allowing blowback through carb). I'm a body/restoration guy (you should see this thing!), but not an engine guy. Need help. It's gotta go to a 258 cause it can't get out of its own way with 33's on it.

Got so many questions:

Engine...can buy a rebuildable or buy a re-man long block. Upside of the rebuildable is that I've got the 4-cyl today...so I need everything to make a 6-cyl happen (brackets, accessories, etc.). Either way, where should I shop...ebay?

Tranny...got a T4 today, can I just buy a new bellhousing and go for it?

Clutch...can I stay with my hydraulic in it today?

Radiator...same radiator used for 4cyl's and 6-cyl's?

Carb....I'm an avid reader of the forum - and hear everyone cpmplain about the carbs that are on them. Ideas there?

Cost....let's just say that I'm aware this will run some bucks. I need ideas. If you know of a forum or website that I can jump to answer some of these questions...fire away.

Help! My CJ is locked in the garage until I find an engine. Starting with the experts (forum members).

Stuck in Indy -

ColtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

This might get long, but stay with me. I did this about 2 years ago.

For the tranny, you have to change the bell housing and the input shaft. The 258 uses a 10 spline, yours is 14. You can stay with the hyd clutch but you will need a new slave and hose, one that bolts to the drivers side, yours is on the pass side. You will also need the motor mount saddles from the 258, a larger radiator (yours might cause the 258 to run hot), new or altered drivelines. Once you get the motor, if you're going low $$ get a MC2100 carb and adapt it. For a few more, get a Weber. For top dollar, swap to FI. Don't forget about getting a better ignition (search for HEI or TFI swap) and if you have the resources, swap on a 4.0 head. If you are buying a reman from a chain, get any old core you can. You will need to pull brackets for the PS pump, alternator, etc. If you are looking at rebuilding a motor, try and find one that hasn't been rebuilt before. I found my core for $200 but it had a 94 amp alt, 3 row radiator, AC compressor and brackets, pretty much everything. Might be hard to find but keep looking. Getting one with all the bracket and other goodies can save a lot of time, not to mention money. Feel free to e-mail with any other questions.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Aphelion79

My Hyd. clutch and slave are on the passengers side on mine... what kind of 4-Cyl? 151 or 150 do you have? (GMC 151, AMC 150)
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
EMT

u say u are a body/restoration man ,so im assuming u are going to make it sweeeeeeet like most of the bodymen i know do to there own projects?if thats the case then something sweet like that is going to need to be stroked(google it).ive never done it or seen it but from all i read i gotta do it.
88yj hardtop ,4.2 i6, 3.5 BDS lift,1"daystar bl,165 amp alt. ,homemade1"mml with 33" 12.50 baja claws ,mickey thompson classic locks .aussie locker in front and a warn 8000lb winch.2 kc daylighters on the windsheild,2 55w driving lights on the bumper.pioneer cd and speakers,sound bar and amp.ford taurus fan and tfi ignition upgrade.mc2150 upgrade,discoed.nutter bypass,8.8 rear end ,grant steering wheel.
EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion79
My Hyd. clutch and slave are on the passengers side on mine... what kind of 4-Cyl? 151 or 150 do you have? (GMC 151, AMC 150)
The 85 he has is an AMC 4 banger with the slave running through the bell housing on the pass side. When swapping to a six, the fork is on the drivers side.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
Unread 06-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
ColtsFan

Appreciate the info. Think I'm getting lucky...ran into a friend-of-a-friend scenarios where I can get a 6-cyl that I've heard run before (now pulled out). They'll give me eveything that I need to go with it (has 3-speed tranny that I'm not real keen on) - but will include all accesories (alt, pwr steering, starter, etc.) and brackets are still attached. Will even give me the radiator. My issue is this:

This thing came out of a super-early cherokee that has since been cut up for scrap. I know that early jeep's had not only 258's but also another I-6 offering (231?). Is there a dinstinguishable difference? Any easy way to tell what I'm looking at?

Got no real idea what year this thing is...but I'm pretty geeked about finding a rebuildable with such ease. BTW - price $300 for whatever I want to take.

Thoughts on what I've found?

gosupes....I've sent you a private email...let me know if you don't recieve.
Unread 06-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

E-mailed ya back. The older engine was a 232. I don't know if and when they put a 232 in a Cherokee. The block castings will tell you for sure.

Unread 06-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
twmattox

Just a quick thought...

Why not stick with the 4 cylinder and do a gear swap. I have a spare 4-cylinder (AMC 150 from an '84 CJ-7) sitting around that worked well when I removed it last year...would be cheaper to use it and do a gear swap on the axles...

No worries regarding transmission issues, radiator issues, bell housing issues, etc...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
twmattox

IIRC, the early Cherokees had a V-6:

The 2.8L V6 engine uses a cast iron block and cylinder head with hydraulic lifters and over head valves. It was first introduced as an optional engine in the little Cherokee (XJ) and it was later used in the Comanche (MJ). The engine was built by GM and a similar engine was used in many GM cars and trucks.

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/gm173.html
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
ColtsFan

Good question (re: why the 6cyl swap)...in the end, it's b/c the 4cyl I've got is tired (very tired @ 190K) - and the fact that I use the CJ for more than just cruising around (limited use as a mower trailer puller). Gear, while it might work, never really gets me away from the issue of not having enough under the hood.

Ok, so I'll admit it....I've got a CJ that's been through about 5-8K of body, paint, rhino, lift, wheels, tires, stereo, etc...and it runs like a wind-up toy.
Unread 06-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
Aphelion79

If I remember reading correctly the I6 with the old cherokees (the 232) is the base model for the 258 which is a "stroked" out 232 as we all like to call it Correct me if I'm wrong... as far as common sence would say the only differences between the 232 and the 258 are the internals?
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.