4.2L Temp Sender Readings....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.2L Temp Sender Readings....?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

4.2L Temp Sender Readings....?

hey Guys!

I've got some questions regarding the Ohm readings from my 4.2L's temp sender....

Bit of background:
Ill admit my bad... The last couple months I was driving my jeep, the temp gauge was not functioning at all..... :/ I know! I know! but the thing is just so dam reliable I took my chances... (fuel gauge wasn't working either so I suspect It burnt out, causing both gauges to not work) I was running a direct drive mechanical flex a light flex fan, and had been for a couple years.
Since then I've decided to upgrade to an electric fan. Why? Mostly because the flex fan was very very loud in my opinion. and a couple other insignificant reasons of my own.
Also, I'm running a regular style rad from a V8 jeep. The COMPLETE cooling system was replaced a couple years ago. EVERYTHING new at that time.

SO!

I suppose I did things a little backwords, But I was excited for the electric fan and just finished installing it! and testing out my wiring! It works great!
Thermo switch plumbed into Intake cooling jacket FYI.

But does it cool enough? I started to wonder...

The fan was the ONLY one available from flex-a-light that would fit for me. It was my Only choice, Even though Flex-a-light customer service suggested a slightly larger CFM fan.
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-...ctric-fan.html

Well! I thought... until I get my gauges diagnosed and re installed(I was going to calibrate them both as well (fuel&temp))
I figured I could just throw my Voltmeter to Ohms, Hook it up to the temp sensor at the back of the head, and start er up! Lets see what happens!

So Heres the results!
The time in minutes don't mean much because my rpms and the outside temp and yada yada can all vary:

TIME OHMS
5:16 176 -Start motor.-motor was running earlier. cool but not "cold"
5:17 131
5:18 115
5:19 80
5:20 60
5:20.50 72 -thermostat opened???
5:21 60
5:22 55
5:23 47
5:24 42
5:25 38
5:26 37
5:26 37.9 -Manually turned fan on my self (Ill explain after)
5:27 41.9
5:28 45
5:29 48
5:30 50
5:31 52
5:32 54
5:33 56
5:34 56
5:35 56
5:36 52 -revved motor 6ish times pretty high.
5:37 55 -Shut motor off...
5:38 51
5:39 54
5:40 61
5:50 87

So........ Does 56 ohms sounds like the correct reading for my motors temp sender? Should I "calibrate" my Temp gauge to sit in the middle of the green at 56 omhs? Am I over heating? lol

Any info thoughts or comments are accepted with open arms!!

Group_er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Has nobody ever done this before?
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Something wrong there. (No thermostat or a failed fail safe?) A CJ 4.2 engine reads room temp 200-400 ohms. C on the gauge or 130F reads 73 ohms, beginning of band, 171F, 36 ohms, top of band, 242F, 13 ohms and Hot 272F, 9 ohms. (From John Strenk's gauge diagnostic page)
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Something wrong there. (No thermostat or a failed fail safe?) A CJ 4.2 engine reads room temp 200-400 ohms. C on the gauge or 130F reads 73 ohms, beginning of band, 171F, 36 ohms, top of band, 242F, 13 ohms and Hot 272F, 9 ohms. (From John Strenk's gauge diagnostic page)
Thank for the reply, I just ran down stairs to take a reading of the sender after sitting in my garage all night, and it read 285ohm.

What do you mean by no thermostat or a failed fail safe?
I believe around 5:20 and 5:21 the thermostat opened when the resistance temporarily came up(as in got cooler) then continued to go down(got warmer)

What would your jeeps temp sender be reading in ohms while your jeeps idling and fully warmed up? I suppose that should have been my original post.
mine appeared to be 56 ohms....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.