4.2 tbi upgraded, but now i have issues. HELP! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.2 tbi upgraded, but now i have issues. HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #61
CSP

No, actually it doesn't. Only two wires need to be connected to the distributor as already mentioned and diagrammed.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #62
motormike24

ok guys. thanks for alllll the help despite my lack of electrical expertise. i think we got it figured out. had a loose butt connector in one of the ECM wires, and now it has injector pulse and spark, but i think i have to super adjust the distributor now because when it cranks over and tries to fire it basically stops the motor dead in its tracks, as if its extremely advanced or something. might be due to having adjusted the distributor with both modules trying to feed the distributor previously. hoping so anyway. will let ya know after i re charge the battery as i ran it dead, LOL. thanks again you guys, you are a huge help.
motormike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #63
CSP

There's a connector to unplug to set initial timing. It has to be unplugged to take the computer out of the loop or you'll never see it stay at a certain setting while you try to get it set. I know where the connector is on a GM vehicle, but no idea where it might be on your setup.
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #64
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

For a mopar it is the engine coolent temp sensor that gets removed to set base timing.

GM???????
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #65
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
There's a connector to unplug to set initial timing. It has to be unplugged to take the computer out of the loop or you'll never see it stay at a certain setting while you try to get it set. I know where the connector is on a GM vehicle, but no idea where it might be on your setup.
Google says its a tan/single wire connector

Edit: tan/black
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #66
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

Meh I have a Howell setup, what do I know.
gunzmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #67
motormike24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
this distributor is vacuum advance, instead of electrically advanced.... i have no such wire on my setup.
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #68
CSP

That wire is a part of the GM harness and you do have such a wire if you left the TBI harness intact.

The distributor was originally vacuum and mechanical advance. I sure hope you've disabled both types of advance since you're now letting the TBI computer do the timing advance for you. If not, you're in for more trouble with it running correctly.
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #69
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Your suppose to pin the advance at zero so it doesn't change and or move. And not use the vacuum advance anymore.

Look in your electrical drawings. The wire for setting timing is their. Add it to you homemade wire harness exactly like it is in the book.
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #70
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
That wire is a part of the GM harness and you do have such a wire if you left the TBI harness intact.

The distributor was originally vacuum and mechanical advance. I sure hope you've disabled both types of advance since you're now letting the TBI computer do the timing advance for you. If not, you're in for more trouble with it running correctly.
If I understand the OP, he has built his own harness instead of splicing one from a donor vehicle. So, in that case, Mike will have to disconnect the wire that travels from D5 on the ECM and goes to "C" terminal on the GM 7 pin spark module. If the vacuum and centrifugal advances have not been disabled on the stock distributor then as you say," he's in for a lot of trouble to get the engine running correctly." God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #71
motormike24

ok, now i know that. i will unhook the vacuum advance, but how would i disable mechanical advance? and that might be why it runs like **** now....and btw its an 8 pin, not 7.
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #72
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Drill a hole through it and hammer a roll pin in.
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #73
CSP

I've welded the weights to the arms.

You really should look at least at the sticky posts on the binderbulletin's EFI forum. You might find other things you've missed that aren't obvious in this thread. It seems like you're missing a lot of the basics.
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #74
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormike24 View Post
ok, now i know that. i will unhook the vacuum advance, but how would i disable mechanical advance? and that might be why it runs like **** now....and btw its an 8 pin, not 7.
7 pin, 8 pin, they both do the same thing...
An easy way to lock the mechanical advance is to take the top plate off the distributor, remove the springs and weights, safety wire the advance arms together if you don't want to weld them. Put it back together and perform the 0 degree base timing procedure. You should be golden... God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #75
motormike24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon In Tucson View Post
7 pin, 8 pin, they both do the same thing...
An easy way to lock the mechanical advance is to take the top plate off the distributor, remove the springs and weights, safety wire the advance arms together if you don't want to weld them. Put it back together and perform the 0 degree base timing procedure. You should be golden... God bless.
Jon In Tucson
so im sposed to set the base timing to 0 degrees instead of the 10 degrees it was calling for originally??

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.