4.2 tbi upgraded, but now i have issues. HELP! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.2 tbi upgraded, but now i have issues. HELP!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #46
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormike24

yes orange and purple, but im not sure exactly where this duraspark thing is ur talking about. maybe i did that part wrong too, cuz i just ran new wires directly from the mcu to the coil.... X( maybe i got it alllll kindsa goofed.
It's on the drivers side inner fender below the mastercylinder. The nutter bypass is taking the orange and purple wires that come from the distributor and run them directly to the ignition module which effectively renders the factory mcu useless by "bypassing it" hence the name.

If your orange and purple wires go from the distributor to the 7pin HEI that's it. Did you twist them like they are in the factory harness and they are not anywhere near the spark plug wires.

86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #47
CSP

If it's wired like in the diagram the factory stuff should be 100% out of the equation, including the factory computer and the factory ignition module, period. The GM ECM should be taking over all spark and fuel controls.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #48
motormike24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzmcghee View Post
Referring to the orange and purple wire scenario, I wrote this in another thread where a guy was having problems with his Howell TBI system.

Did you make sure to have both your purple and orange wires go all the way from the dist to the ford duraspark module? If I remember right the purple wire was the one that needed to be "added" on to and extended over there.

Also make sure the black wire from the duraspark module is grounded to a known good ground. stock it used the dist for ground, but in moving everything around you might have got it moved. i ran a 3ft section of wire from the battery ground into this harness just to be sure.
everyone keeps mentioning the duraspark module... can anyone give me a picture of what it looks like? because all i have seen on this jeep is what i believe is being referred to as the "MCU". its a metal box that was originally mounted down by the firewall and fenderwell on drivers side, but ive relocated it to an easier to access location. thats where i ran the wires from to the distributor. maybe this is why im having issues, maybe i am mistaken on what is what here. so yea, a pic of the duraspark would be very helpful. also where would it have been located.
motormike24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #49
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

As stated before the mcu on feed back carb equipped CJ's was a black box mounted above the glove box. The factory ignition module was on the drivers side fender. So it all you did is relocate the ignition module them you really didn't do the nutter bypass at all.
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #50
motormike24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
As stated before the mcu on feed back carb equipped CJ's was a black box mounted above the glove box. The factory ignition module was on the drivers side fender. So it all you did is relocate the ignition module them you really didn't do the nutter bypass at all.
ohh boy. i knew something had to be awry here. would you mind explaining exactly what i should have done to do the bypass? or is it pointless to even bother with it now that i have the FI setup?
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #51
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormike24 View Post
or is it pointless to even bother with it now that i have the FI setup?
YES!!!! The GM ECM should be in complete control of spark and fuel. How many times does it need to be said?!

86cj74.2L you really should just drop talk of the factory igniton module and such. It shouldn't be the cause or even in the picture any longer as the OP is using the factory GM TBI 8-pin ignition module.

Your wiring should be exactly as the diagram I posted, with no other wires going to the coil, other than possibly a tach getting tach signal from the negative side of the coil.

Do a google search on Duraspark igntion module to see pictures of what it looks like.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #52
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The purple and orange wires should go from the distributor directly to the 7pin HEI ignition module

Nothing more and nothing less.

CSP the only reason I keep talking about them is because he seems to not have a clue what they are and where their at. He just may have a better understanding of what they are and what he should not be using anymore. I will speak of them no more.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #53
motormike24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
He's using a mix of the 8-pin GM ignition module and the factory ignition somehow. The 8-pin isn't wired correctly at all.

Here's how it shold be wired. The two wire connector right next to the four wire connector should be wired to the coil. The two on the other side of the module should go to the orange and purple wires that come from the distributor. The factory ignition module should be in the trash at this point.
so according to this diagram, i had it slightly wrong, so we hooked it up exactly as pictured, and it doesnt even start with starting fluid. just to be clear the duraspark module is NOT any longer connected. this is a sad day for me.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
CSP

Try switching the purple and orange wires from the distributor.

If that does nothing it's time to start checking all connections. If they check out there's a troubleshooting procedure to follow. The EFI section at www.binderplanet.org has lots of troubleshooting info.
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #55
motormike24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Try switching the purple and orange wires from the distributor.

If that does nothing it's time to start checking all connections. If they check out there's a troubleshooting procedure to follow. The EFI section at www.binderplanet.org has lots of troubleshooting info.
it appears that site is dedicated to international harvesters.... 0.o
i searched TBI and EFI and it said no results. so yea, not sure about that one. but im at such a loss right now, because we just ran all completely new wires for the entire ignition module after eliminating the duraspark, and now not only dont have fuel, but no spark either. this is getting worse by the moment.
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #56
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

You NEED the duraspark module dude. I Dont think you are understanding what we are saying you need and Dont need.
gunzmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #57
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

Your ignition module should have 2 plugs on it. Round ones. One plug has 2 wires, white and red, the other has black, green, purple and orange. That purple wire needs extended to the distributor. Is what I was saying.
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #58
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

Unread 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #59
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzmcghee View Post
You NEED the duraspark module dude. I Dont think you are understanding what we are saying you need and Dont need.
I don't think you understand that the OP is using a GM TBI computer to control spark. He does not need, and should not even be considering the Duraspark module. He's using the computer to control a GM 8-pin ignition module. The only Duraspark part needed is the distributor.

motormike that site is dedicated to IH Scouts. The thing is the wiring etc. doesn't change with the make of the vehicle it's installed in. The only thing that the make of the vehicle it's installed in is the location of the source of power and where sensors are installed. GM TBI is GM TBI whether it's installed in a Chevy, Jeep, IH, or whatever. You could install it on a riding lawn mower if you really wanted to.
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #60
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

Ahhh I didn't see that in this cluster f'd thread. My bad. Still needs the purple wire to run where I said it needs to though..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.