4.2 fuel in oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.2 fuel in oil

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
munsterrman
1980 CJ5 

4.2 fuel in oil

HI,
My issue is my engine wont start up anymore during my build. Everything was fine during the build up and suddenly wont start, in cranks over. Checked all electrical and everything seems to be hooked up like it was before the last start up about 3 days ago. Checked the dip stick and theres definetly fuel. I can smell it and the oil is very thin, just slides of the dip stick. I have not replaced the mechanical fuel pump yet. How hard is it? and any tips are appreciated. There is fuel going to the carb but no ignition. Rotor is good and plugs on spark plugs are hooked up. Any help is appreciated.

munsterrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The mechanical pump diaphragm has a pressured fuel side and an air side, with a small hole at the bottom of the pump housing. When it leaks you can see a small stream of fuel out of the hole, most of it however goes in the block.

It is also possible that a stuck inlet valve on the carb or float issues can have fuel streaming into the manifold, washing down the bores into the oil.

Either way it is not healthy.

Alternatvely it could just be bec ause you have started it many times on full choke and you are smelling left over fuel in the cylinders. In any case that oil will be toast.

Changing the mechanical pump is 5 minutes work with a spanner. When you put the new one you either force it in or insert the bolts a little and then tighten it down. the spring in the pump will fight you on the way in.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Pump diaphragm may be bad and allowing fuel into crankcase. If your sure there is fuel in the oil, replace the pump and change oil. The pump is easy, a threaded hard line on top and two side bolts.
Confirm fuel IN carb, not just going to carb. Look down in as you pump gas and see if accel pump squirts fuel. Also see if plugs are wet. Check for sparks at a plug by grounding the threaded part and watch the end (and your fingers)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.