4.2 with DUI and motorcraft 2100, which vac advance? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.2 with DUI and motorcraft 2100, which vac advance?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It's been a while since I looked into that very subject mat but I have some idea that back in 06 or so the CJ ran on manifold vacuum during warmup and then switched to ported via the Vacuum switch.

Like I said its been a long time. But I thought that and the article with all the vacuum advance specs is what talked me into trying manifold vacuum all the time.

86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yes, AMC was all over the place with their vacuum layouts depending on year and location (ie: California had it's own special layouts for a while).

The combo ported/manifold layouts seem to appear in the early 80's along with the AIR pump system. When they switched to the computer-controlled Pulse Air system, the vacuum layouts begin to show only manifold vac to the dizzy, like the layout I posted.

I've read that ported vac advance was just a bandaid fix to get around new emissions requirements. The engineers figured out that by retarding the timing at idle, combustion temps increased, allowing the AIR pump system to have a greater affect on emissions, at the expense of performance.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I got tired of all the arguments so I just called Davis and asked them. They said, MANIFOLD! I've tried it both ways. I have a Weber 38 and No emission crap. The only vacuum lines I have are advance and brake booster, and to be honest it seems to run just fine BOTH ways!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
I got tired of all the arguments so I just called Davis and asked them. They said, MANIFOLD!
There you have it, straight from horses mouth.

I, too, have tried it both ways on my 258 and 360. In both cases, I noticed a smoother idle, better cold starts, better low end throttle response, and cooler idle temperatures with manifold.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Once I have the new charcoal canister setup, I will try the manifold vacuum nipple just above the EGR valve. Does it matter that it is shared with the power brake booster?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.