4.2 4.0 Head Conversion bolt sleeves - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.2 4.0 Head Conversion bolt sleeves

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

4.2 4.0 Head Conversion bolt sleeves

To anyone out there that needs sleeves to get your 4.0 head to fit onto your 4.2 block correctly below is a pic of what you need. You can make them but I (like most of you) do not have a lathe.

You need at least two (I can't figure out why you would need more than two).

sleev-pic.png  
CadCaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
82CJ_Chemist
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the post CadCaman. I may message you in a month or two to see how your 4.0 head conversion went. I am thinking for putting that on short list, especially if i can go carb route first and add fuel injections system later when more money is piled up

Good luck with it
82CJ_Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

This is a pic from Summit, $3.99 ea. Summit and Jegs have them as Ford head bolt bushings. You can probably get away with two. I think Clifford recommended 4. I bought a set of 20 for something like $35 and used them under all the bolts, cheap insurance in my mind. Probably have the rest laying around the garage somewhere. And you probably won't be making these on your lathe unless you can heat treat as well, these are hardened. Well, you could I suppose, but at $4 a pop, it's not worth the time.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosupes View Post

This is a pic from Summit, $3.99 ea. Summit and Jegs have them as Ford head bolt bushings. You can probably get away with two. I think Clifford recommended 4. I bought a set of 20 for something like $35 and used them under all the bolts, cheap insurance in my mind. Probably have the rest laying around the garage somewhere. And you probably won't be making these on your lathe unless you can heat treat as well, these are hardened. Well, you could I suppose, but at $4 a pop, it's not worth the time.
These would have to go at the top of the head. The sleeves will go on the bottom where they meet the block for much better centering.

Or....I may be missing something
CadCaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadCaman

These would have to go at the top of the head. The sleeves will go on the bottom where they meet the block for much better centering.

Or....I may be missing something
Since there was not any pics with the first post I assumed this is what you were talking about. I read about someone a long time ago that used sleeves, tho I don't remember the outcome. Should work but if it were me I would use one at each corner just to be safe.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , 4.2 , conversion , sleeve

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.