4:10's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4:10's

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-06-2002, 09:45 PM   #1
hollywood

4:10's

Is anyone running 4:10's with 33's behind a T-5/258? Can you still do 50-55 mph at a reasonable rpm? I need to replace my 2:73's and I'm looking for advice. This is not my daily driver - it sees more dirt than street, but I'd still like it to be drivalble on the longer rides to the trail heads. Thanks

hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 09:48 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by hollywood:
<strong>Is anyone running 4:10's with 33's behind a T-5/258? Can you still do 50-55 mph at a reasonable rpm? I need to replace my 2:73's and I'm looking for advice. This is not my daily driver - it sees more dirt than street, but I'd still like it to be drivalble on the longer rides to the trail heads. Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm running 4.56's with 33's and an NV4500 - turn 2500 rpm @70 mph. This is with an AMC 360 engine.
Unread 06-07-2002, 08:33 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by hollywood:
<strong>Is anyone running 4:10's with 33's behind a T-5/258? Can you still do 50-55 mph at a reasonable rpm? I need to replace my 2:73's and I'm looking for advice. This is not my daily driver - it sees more dirt than street, but I'd still like it to be drivalble on the longer rides to the trail heads. Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL, if it weren't for the stupid CAFE standards back then, I'm sure we would have never seen those useless 2.73's in any CJ axles

What a useless ratio for a Jeep! Anyway, I may be looking to upgrade also in the future. My '77 CJ7 below in sig, has 3.54s and I will be running 33s soon and have a 1972 AMC 360 in it.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2002, 07:38 PM   #4
KG4PAM

this a newbie question probably, but how do i tell what gear ratio i have? count the teeth and do a proportion calculation, or what? thanks
KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2002, 08:37 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by KG4PAM:
<strong>this a newbie question probably, but how do i tell what gear ratio i have? count the teeth and do a proportion calculation, or what? thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Rotate your tire exacly one turn while counting the revolutions of the pinion - in my case for every tire rotation the pinion turns about 4.5 times since my ratio is 4.56:1
Unread 06-10-2002, 12:42 AM   #6
cj7traildriver

If you do the turn method to figure the gear size you have to have both rear tires turn so if lockered or posi will work if not will need a friend to help and has to be out of gear. That way gets you in the ball park the other way is count teeth on ring gear and divide by number of teeth on pinion gear to get actualy size.
Unread 06-11-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by cj7traildriver:
<strong>If you do the turn method to figure the gear size you have to have both rear tires turn so if lockered or posi will work if not will need a friend to help and has to be out of gear. That way gets you in the ball park the other way is count teeth on ring gear and divide by number of teeth on pinion gear to get actualy size.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What he said. If you have an "open differential" (not locked or posi), when you rotate one wheel, the other will turn opposite. You have to rotate the other side the same or do it rolling the vehicle in neutral on the ground (both wheels rotating the same).
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Try these two links for info on axles.
<a href="http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/" target="_blank">More axle stuff</a>

<a href="http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/specgrid.htm" target="_blank">Axle stuff</a>

Just read the tag on the front axle; it should tell you. The AMC 20 is a little more tricky because it uses a code. I believe mine says B on it and that is a 3.31 ratio.
Unread 06-11-2002, 07:05 PM   #9
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

All the stuff I've read says that with 33's and T5/258 us 4.10 gears for best all around power.
Unread 06-11-2002, 10:21 PM   #10
hollywood

Thanks Jeep Daddy, that's all I wanted to hear.

For everyone else:

On a wide track Dana 20 -
D = 2.73
B = 3.31
A = 3.54
H = 3.73
C = 4.10

Any double letter, such as "DD" means Trac-lok with that letter's ratio. This will be stamped on the flat area to the right of the diff cover.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.