4.0L and SM465 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0L and SM465 swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
xleechy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

4.0L and SM465 swap

Well, my 258 took a crap on me, blew a piston ring and is blowing smoke like crazy. So, jeep mentality why not make it stronger and better, so I decided to swap in a 4.0L. I've been doing the research and am trying to compile a list of what I need from the donor. I'm not trying to make another 4.0 swap but this is what i have so far.
Engine w/ all belt driven accessories, hoses and what not
Wiring harness and all electronics from firewall
Computer
VSS from 91 Wrangler *crosses fingers*
OBDII connector (if i decide against OBD1, haven't decided yet)
Please tell me if I'm missing anything.

Now for the fun part, since the weakling T-4 also has 188k on it, I want to swap that while I'm there. I've been doing some researching and the SM465 seems like the way to go. I'm under the impression I can use the bellhousing from the 4.0L with some modification?

Has anyone done this swap in a CJ-7? Btw, I plan on replacing the rear axle with a Ford 9" rear that a friend has built and welded a truss on the housing. I have yet to research a new front, although am looking for a IH scout to rob the D44s from.

xleechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
doubleroost
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Me and my buddy did a 360 t-18 swap in his cj, it was pretty easy, maybe you should look into that before you go through all that obd crap
doubleroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
xleechy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I thought about that, don't know the availability of a 360 around here plus I was hoping to go fuel injected without to much extra cost on the engine build. Although it would give me reason for the Motorcraft 2100 that came in a day after I blew the piston ring.
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
seapig100
1981 CJ7 

you need to go t-18 if you are going to stay with a jeep engine. The best way to do this is to get a ford tranny and buy the novak conversion kit.
seapig100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
xleechy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

From what I've read at Novak, you can adapt the SM465 to the I6, and the Dana 300 with a rebuild of the 465. (Doesn't require a full rebuild but, while it's open)

Also, Novak states that no adapters are available for the I6 after 1986, which means I wouldn't be able to do the 4.0L swap with the T18.
Unread 02-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
seapig100
1981 CJ7 

No i think you are reading the website wrong. The website states that no bellhousing from after 86 will mate up, But the 4.0 and 4.2 have the same bolt patern I believe. So this is a very ease swap to do the t150 bellhouse should bolt up to you 4.0
seapig100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
xleechy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So I would use a T18 tranny and T150 bellhousing? Can I keep my stock driveshafts?
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
moparmatt84
1984 CJ7 

i am currently performing the sm465 conversion on my 4.0 powered 84 cj7. novak sells the transfer case adaption kits but you must drill and tap your stock bell housing to make it bolt up to your transmission, also the stock front bearing retainer/sleeve on the 465 would have to be modified or purchased from novak, the late model 465 has a longer main shaft and novak also sells new shorter early model main shafts for the particular conversion.
moparmatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I have the SM464 mated to my 4.2, love it!
You can either have a shop take a lathe and turn down the input bearing retainer... Or you can have the bellhousings hole turned out to fit the Sm465 retainer... which is what I did.
I took the bellhousing to a shop where they drilled and tapped the holes, and turned out the center for me, I marked where they needed to drill, and gave them the diameter the hole needed to be enlarged to.

Once under the jeep, I saw I needed to shorten the transmission stabilizer arm by a few inches so it would clear the exhaust, and drill new holes for it to remount it to the skidplate.
Also had to cut out a small front section of the skid plate for the front of the Sm465 as it hangs a bit lower than the weeny little T5.
I can post pics if you'd like.

All in all, it was a pretty easy swap, the hardest part being cutting the skidplate, no biggie with the right tools. And the fact that the Sm465 weighs 195lbs.... where's the aluminum T5 weighs 90lbs... lol
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmatt84
i am currently performing the sm465 conversion on my 4.0 powered 84 cj7. novak sells the transfer case adaption kits but you must drill and tap your stock bell housing to make it bolt up to your transmission, also the stock front bearing retainer/sleeve on the 465 would have to be modified or purchased from novak, the late model 465 has a longer main shaft and novak also sells new shorter early model main shafts for the particular conversion.
I have the novak conversion front bearing retainer kit sitting on my shelf because I changed drivetrain plans mid build. PM me if interested, I'll let it go for alot less than I paid for it, its just sitting here.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.