4.0L into 4.2L ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0L into 4.2L ??

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:46 PM   #1
clint_black_jeep

4.0L into 4.2L ??

I'm thinking of swapping a late-model 4.0 into my tired 258-powered ride... Any of you guys ever tried this at home? Successfully? Any tips/advice would be appreciated. This would help me pass any unforseeable emissions tests, improve mpg and cold starts, & maybe boost the hp a little.
Thanks-

"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they ain't out to get you"
clint_black_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
clint_black_jeep

Sorry, guys, that shoud have been under engines...

"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they ain't out to get you"
clint_black_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2002, 07:26 PM   #3
hamyscj

I am in the process of doing this right now. However, I cheated alittle because I had the mopar MPI kit on my 4.2. I had all the wiring and intake already set up. There are a few things you need to know. First, plan on using the 4.0 accessories. ie power steering, alt, A/C, etc. The 4.2 accessories will not fit. Esp the P/S. The motor mounts and bell housing to block bolts are a perfect match. The only thing I had to do was to use a 7/16 bolt on one hole of the left mount into the block. For some reason it was tapped different. Unless you buy a bellhousing with the sensor mount on it, you will need to fab a bracket for the crank sensor. You will need to get a bronze pilot bushing for the trans of the CJ machined down to 1 inch OD in order to fit into the crank of the 4.0. There are probably some things that I am missing so if you have questions, feel free to email me. Hamy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.