4.0L HO head swap w/ MPFI - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0L HO head swap w/ MPFI

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #31
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Found a pristine '93 Cherokee at a pick-n-pull in Baton Rouge when I was home on leave and pulled the cylinder head #7120, harness, alt, intake manifold, throttle body and cable, dizzy, and coil. For only 380 doll hairs
The exhaust manifold was cracked, go figure. Guess I'll have to pick up a Gale Banks Revolver Exhaust Manifold

Question for those wiring gurus, the wiring harness from the Cherokee was 2wd so does this mean it will not work with the D20 speedo?

su1brzazmzguanbn.jpg

tripster_sta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7NB View Post
I did the 4.0 HO swap (From a 91) in my CJ. I bought a wrecked Cherokee for $550 bucks and sold the parts I didn't need for $500, so an engine and tranny for $50 seems like a pretty good deal. I bought the Hesco wiring harness for ~ $500 which made the install pretty much plug and play. Since it's a newer motor and I installed it wit all the factory emission stuff it should pass the test in California.
Did you swap the whole thing or just the head?
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #33
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripster_sta View Post
Found a pristine '93 Cherokee at a pick-n-pull in Baton Rouge when I was home on leave and pulled the cylinder head #7120, harness, alt, intake manifold, throttle body and cable, dizzy, and coil. For only 380 doll hairs
The exhaust manifold was cracked, go figure. Guess I'll have to pick up a Gale Banks Revolver Exhaust Manifold

Question for those wiring gurus, the wiring harness from the Cherokee was 2wd so does this mean it will not work with the D20 speedo?
This is the thread I made when I did my 4.0 Swap. I also used an ax15 tranny so I didnt have to use the cps relocation kit from hesco.http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/4-0...82-258-a-5083/

For the speedo on your D20, assuming that the cable is the same threading as the d300 you will need to find a VSS from a 91 YJ. It is a hybrid between electric and mechanical. it will supply your ECM the signal and turn your your mechanical speedo cable.
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #34
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyUKnow View Post

This is the thread I made when I did my 4.0 Swap. I also used an ax15 tranny so I didnt have to use the cps relocation kit from hesco.http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/4-0...82-258-a-5083/

For the speedo on your D20, assuming that the cable is the same threading as the d300 you will need to find a VSS from a 91 YJ. It is a hybrid between electric and mechanical. it will supply your ECM the signal and turn your your mechanical speedo cable.
I've read through your thread multiple times, very nice work, I love the serp belt.

So here is my part list. I was under the assumption that if I had the hesco speed sensor I wouldn't need the vss from a 91 yj.

Sent from toilet at work
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #35
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Oh and also the high pressure fuel pump, and have the exhaust system fabed, there I go assuming stuff.

Sent from toilet at work
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #36
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

I did the 4.0 head swap and MPFI upgrade a few years ago, and I can't tell you how pleased I've been with the resulting improvements in performance and reliability.
With all due respect to all the KISS-principle types, I sympathize but consider this to be a most worthwhile concession to electronic technology.

And let me point out that I am an attorney, not a mechanic. I have at best intermediate skills (a lot more now than when I started!) and was able to do this with the help of this forum.
Also, YouTube videos are really helpful in learning how things go together and work.

To save time and hassle I used the HESCO harnes and TPS kit, but if I did it again in future I'd probably just pull a 4.0 flywheel and try to strip down an OEM harness.

You can get anything you need from a good junkyard. Some say the parts are drying up, but you aren't limited to Wranglers; Grand Cherokees have the same parts and there are tons of those in my area.
I'm lucky to have a Chrysler-only lot very near me, but their prices are higher so I've mostly gotten specific parts from there that had to come from a YJ, such as steering column and power brake booster.

Most of the parts for my MPFI upgrade came from a group 93, 94 and & 95 GCs in one you-pull-it yard.

As to HESCO, they really are the experts but they're also proud of their stuff.
For example, their ECM is almost $500 while the yard charged me $27. The only difference is that the HESCO part has some trouble codes disabled so your check engine light doesn't stay lit.

There are a few hinky bits you'll have to search for, such as a speed sensor that has both mechanical and electronic capability.
Mine came from a 91 J10 pickup and cost less than $10.

I could go on all day, but there are tons of threads on this subject around here.

That said, feel free to PM me with specific questions if you need input from a rank amateur who took this on.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #37
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

The '91 YJ VSS part sucks because I cant find that particular jeep in my neck of the woods and brand new they are in the ball park of $100

It's like I'm in a hole and the only way out is to dig deeper
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #38
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post
I did the 4.0 head swap and MPFI upgrade a few years ago, and I can't tell you how pleased I've been with the resulting improvements in performance and reliability.
With all due respect to all the KISS-principle types, I sympathize but consider this to be a most worthwhile concession to electronic technology.

And let me point out that I am an attorney, not a mechanic. I have at best intermediate skills (a lot more now than when I started!) and was able to do this with the help of this forum.
Also, YouTube videos are really helpful in learning how things go together and work.

To save time and hassle I used the HESCO harnes and TPS kit, but if I did it again in future I'd probably just pull a 4.0 flywheel and try to strip down an OEM harness.

You can get anything you need from a good junkyard. Some say the parts are drying up, but you aren't limited to Wranglers; Grand Cherokees have the same parts and there are tons of those in my area.
I'm lucky to have a Chrysler-only lot very near me, but their prices are higher so I've mostly gotten specific parts from there that had to come from a YJ, such as steering column and power brake booster.

Most of the parts for my MPFI upgrade came from a group 93, 94 and & 95 GCs in one you-pull-it yard.

As to HESCO, they really are the experts but they're also proud of their stuff.
For example, their ECM is almost $500 while the yard charged me $27. The only difference is that the HESCO part has some trouble codes disabled so your check engine light doesn't stay lit.

There are a few hinky bits you'll have to search for, such as a speed sensor that has both mechanical and electronic capability.
Mine came from a 91 J10 pickup and cost less than $10.

I could go on all day, but there are tons of threads on this subject around here.

That said, feel free to PM me with specific questions if you need input from a rank amateur who took this on.
I've read through your thread and I like the nice work with the exhaust manifold. I, like you, am a shadetree mechanic and am looking for all the help I can get. I really appreciate the help.

Upon futher research the 91 YJ VSS is not needed if I just get the HESCO Speed Sensor#HES7015 and its connector #4414048 for a whooping $149.45 +tax of course. Now if a $10 vss just fell into my lap that would be preferred, but I can't have all the luck.
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Late 80's dakota vss works. I bought anew one for $30 on ebay
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #40
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigemags05 View Post
Late 80's dakota vss works. I bought anew one for $30 on ebay
Found one for $35, thanks. I didn't know they were the same. Good call.
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

No problem. Mine has been fine for 6 months or so since I've done the swap.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #42
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripster_sta View Post
Found one for $35, thanks. I didn't know they were the same. Good call.
Good, glad you found one. Not from Hesco, I hope?

I said J10, couldn't remember the name Dakota.
I think mine was 5 or 10 bucks.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #43
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Well gents I finally gave in to the head swap and fuel injection. After repeated fails at the smog station and money down the drain, I threw in the towel. So here is my progress thus far.
Everything removed down to the block.
Here is a shot of the new and old head.
Biodegradable packing peanuts and some JB Weld.
I'm just waiting on the epoxy to cure then I'll lap the valves, reassemble the head, slap it on, hook everything up, and then to the fun part of wiring everything
dsc_0225-1.jpg

dsc_0226.jpg

dsc_0227.jpg

dsc_0240.jpg

dsc_0244.jpg

dsc_0220.jpg

dsc_0214.jpg

dsc_0248.jpg

dsc_0249.jpg

dsc_0250.jpg

Unread 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #44
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to use a CARB certified kit to pass CA emissions? I didn't think you could pass by doing a JY head swap?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #45
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

From my understanding of the CARB directives is that any modifications done to an engine has to either be approved by the CARB and have a sticker with a number, or it has to be approved by a referee. Some material that I read states that the modifications, in my case, has be from a newer engine and meet the requirements of that vehicle. I.e. check engine light, catalytic converter, and so on. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.