4.0L HO head swap w/ MPFI - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0L HO head swap w/ MPFI

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Wow that's a lot of info. Thanks Matt. I have a ton of research to do before I make up my mind.
Come to California they said....

Sent from toilet at work

tripster_sta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

I used the hesco harness when I swapped a 4.0 into my cj. I've been very pleased. It was about $500.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I would call Bernie at Hesco and see if they have the old MPI kit that is CARB compliant.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

FWIW, I'm going through an engine swap in my CJ in California right now. Here's a link to the thread... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...-swap-1530716/
I haven't got to the referee yet, but I'll document that as well.

So far it seems pretty straightforward as far as what is required, based on the BAR information Matt provided earlier.

Also, the Mopar MPFI system for 258's is CARB compliant. http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-265-7.pdf
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dc...10ae/overview/
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

I see that the air resources board only approved it for '81 to '83 and Mopar only had the kits for those years models too. So do you know if that will work in my 79?

Sent from toilet at work
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
I would call Bernie at Hesco and see if they have the old MPI kit that is CARB compliant.
Will do! I want to be mpfi and carb compliant.

Sent from toilet at work
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

The hesco 50 state mpi kit is $2,680. That's a little to rich for my blood.
Next and hopefully my last question.
What year and model can I pull a mpi junkyard kit for my 258?

Btw thanks for everyone's input, I'm on here for a good reason. You guys give excellent advice and in a timely manner.

Sent from toilet at work
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripster_sta View Post
I see that the air resources board only approved it for '81 to '83 and Mopar only had the kits for those years models too. So do you know if that will work in my 79?

Sent from toilet at work
I am not familiar with the differences between your '79 and the later '81-up engines, other than the addition of the computer controlled carb in the early '80s. It may be that the '81-up had an O2 sensor bung cast into the exhaust manifold, and the earlier engines didn't have that.

If that's the case, and Mopar wanted this to be a true "bolt-on" system, then they did not apply for CARB certification on older models where the O2 bung would need to be welded into the exhaust.

So, to answer your question, it should work on your '79 with the added step of welding an O2 sensor bung into your exhaust close to the manifold.
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Seriously though, it's odd to me that so many guys Nutter their engines to get rid of the troublesome computer, then turn around and stick another computer on it with FI.
It's not the computer that's troublesome with the BBD feedback carb. It's all the crap it's supposed to control and/or the sensors that feed it.

What is it that contols your Tundra?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
So, to answer your question, it should work on your '79 with the added step of welding an O2 sensor bung into your exhaust close to the manifold.
While that may be all that it takes to make it physically work, if the CARB cerfitication is only for 81-83 then it will not be emissions legal on a '79.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Next and hopefully my last question.
What year and model can I pull a mpi junkyard kit for my 258?
In California, legally, any changes you make to the engine that do not have CARB certification will need to be inspected by a smog referee.

That said, you'd probably want to look for a '91-'95 Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee with the 4.0 engine. This will be an OBDI system that the Hesco and Mopar systems are based on. You can use just the intake (with all the associated sensors, wiring, and computer), the head and both manifolds, or the entire engine.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
While that may be all that it takes to make it physically work, if the CARB cerfitication is only for 81-83 then it will not be emissions legal on a '79.
True, until he takes it to a smog referee who will inspect it and, more than likely, give him the required documentation and "seal of approval."

The CARB Certification system exists so that every engine modification does not have to be individually inspected for approval. However, that inspection program still exists for those modifications that are outside-the-box. I think that since this is a minor modification to allow a pre-qualified system to be fully functional on the existing engine, it should be pretty straightforward...

should...

tripster, while you are still in the research phase, you may want to get a hold of a smog referee in the San Diego area and see exactly what would be required for any of your proposed scenarios. Since you are active military, there may be legal exceptions that you can take advantage of.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post

In California, legally, any changes you make to the engine that do not have CARB certification will need to be inspected by a smog referee.

That said, you'd probably want to look for a '91-'95 Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee with the 4.0 engine. This will be an OBDI system that the Hesco and Mopar systems are based on. You can use just the intake (with all the associated sensors, wiring, and computer), the head and both manifolds, or the entire engine.
Ok thanks Ken. I'll go that route using my 258 block, and then let the smog nazis have their fun.
After all is said and done I think I'll be pretty legal and happy with the results, but not my pockets
I skimmed your thread, looks daunting but doable, so I will probably be refrencing it a **** ton during my build.

Sent from toilet at work
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok thanks Ken. I'll go that route using my 258 block, and then let the smog nazis have their fun.
After all is said and done I think I'll be pretty legal and happy with the results, but not my pockets
I skimmed your thread, looks daunting but doable, so I will probably be refrencing it a **** ton during my build.

Sent from toilet at work
Please note that I am doing an OBDII swap from a '98. The OBDII has a few more sensors than the OBDI, and the check engine light (required in CA) does not connect straight to the ECM, so the gauge cluster from the donor is required...
The reasons I chose to go with the OBDII are twofold:
1) It was far easier to find parts for the newer OBDII system.
2) The diagnostic capabilities provided by OBDII are so much better than OBDI.
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Ok roger that thanks for your input. Making tons of notes!

Sent from toilet at work
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did the 4.0 HO swap (From a 91) in my CJ. I bought a wrecked Cherokee for $550 bucks and sold the parts I didn't need for $500, so an engine and tranny for $50 seems like a pretty good deal. I bought the Hesco wiring harness for ~ $500 which made the install pretty much plug and play. Since it's a newer motor and I installed it wit all the factory emission stuff it should pass the test in California.

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.