4.0 with T5 - issues with thinner flywheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 with T5 - issues with thinner flywheel

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 06-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

4.0 with T5 - issues with thinner flywheel

I've read a few things about the 4.0 flywheel being 1/4" thinner than a 258 flywheel, which could cause issues with clutch disengagement (clutch fork running out of room, along with the throwout bearing being close to coming off the fork because of the increased throw). I know Skerr went through an ordeal and had to drill, tap, and install an adjustable pivot (and weld trusses to strengthen that area around it).

With all of the 4.0 swaps that have been done, I haven't seen much published about these issues when used with the T5, T4, T176, etc. Does this commonly cause an issue with a 4.0 swap?

I'm trying to avoid any issues by making the necessary modifications before I put everything in - cuz once I do, I will not be taking it back out anytime soon (hopefully!)

So my question is what modifications, if any, do I need to do? The pivot mod like Skerr (if so, use a pivot from what vehicle?)? I've seen the adjustable throwout bearing that Novak sells, which would easily solve the issue. Problem is, they are still in production.

Not sure what I need to do for this.

1984Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

This exact discussion was recently had on another thread. Not sure what the resolution was, but there may be some helpful info there...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...l#post23024009

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide.
Unread 06-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The gent on the other thread had no issues. I used the 258 flywheel on my swap, so had no problems.

I haven't seen any threads where this was an issue. My YJ 258 now has the 4.0 with the 4.0 flywheel and its slave cylinder still reaches fine. It shifts great anyway.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I went from a 258 in front of an AX-15 to a 4.0 and did not notice a difference. I did not measure but the flywheels appear to be the same thickness.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.