4.0 swap/VSS wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 swap/VSS wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

4.0 swap/VSS wiring

I put a 94 4.0 from a YJ in my 78 CJ7 with the AX15 and a Dana 300. I bought a 91 YJ Speed sensor and it has a two wire hook up.The wiring for the Speed sensor from the 94 4.0 has three wires. I bought the 3 to 2 wire conversion plug from Hesco..Which two out of the three do I hook up?

ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

I have copied this from cjoffroad, never tired it but guys say it works. The Early 2 wire VSS is a simple mechanical switch, it makes and breaks a set of contacts internally using magnets and a reed switch. One wire is from the PCM which has a 5 volt reference internally, the other is the sensor return. When the 5 volts drops to ground, the PCM senses a trigger.

The later 3 wire VSS uses a Hall effects switch to make and break the connection between the sensor return wire and the ground wire. The 3rd wire is a 5-8 volt power supply to operate the hall effect sensor.

The 3 wire sensor colors are usually:
Wt/Bk = 5-8v supply
Wt/Or = Sensor return (signal to PCM)
Bk/LB = Common sensor Ground

With the 2 wire sensors, just connect the 2 wires to the Bk/LB and Wt/Or wires from the harness, you can disregard the Wt/Bk = 5-8v supply wire, it's not needed! It doesn't even matter which wire you connect to which pin on the 2 wire VSS, (but if the colors match, connect them!)

Hope this helps!
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986cj View Post
I have copied this from cjoffroad, never tired it but guys say it works. The Early 2 wire VSS is a simple mechanical switch, it makes and breaks a set of contacts internally using magnets and a reed switch. One wire is from the PCM which has a 5 volt reference internally, the other is the sensor return. When the 5 volts drops to ground, the PCM senses a trigger.

The later 3 wire VSS uses a Hall effects switch to make and break the connection between the sensor return wire and the ground wire. The 3rd wire is a 5-8 volt power supply to operate the hall effect sensor.

The 3 wire sensor colors are usually:
Wt/Bk = 5-8v supply
Wt/Or = Sensor return (signal to PCM)
Bk/LB = Common sensor Ground

With the 2 wire sensors, just connect the 2 wires to the Bk/LB and Wt/Or wires from the harness, you can disregard the Wt/Bk = 5-8v supply wire, it's not needed! It doesn't even matter which wire you connect to which pin on the 2 wire VSS, (but if the colors match, connect them!)

Hope this helps!
Thats better than anything else I have found..Mine has an orange,A white with orange stripe and a black with blue stripe.So I am guessing I would disregard the orange wire?? Anyone else agree?
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

If I remerber right may have been from Marty So Cal, but not real sure. He hangs out over on priate and is real good with mpfi. The way I understand it is "you can disregard the Wt/Bk = 5-8v supply wire, it's not needed!"
Take a volt meter and see witch one has 5-8v and dont use it.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986cj View Post
If I remerber right may have been from Marty So Cal, but not real sure. He hangs out over on priate and is real good with mpfi.
I made a post over there this morning but no response.
Unread 08-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Jak_Flash

Is the 2 wire hookup from the 91 vss considered a 2 pole vss? I'm in need of one for my 5.7tbi swap.
Jak_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.