4.0 swap speedometer not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 swap speedometer not working

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Engine is running great, but the speedometer isn't working.

I used a new vss for a 91 yj, and bought an adaptor so the threads will match. I am using Hesco's harness.

Any ideas on why it might not be working?
Does anyone have pictures of how the vss should fit onto the speedometer cable?

Also, when installing, I pulled the small gear out. I put it back in but is it possible it isn't seated right? I figured it'd only go in one way with the teeth how they are.

Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

sounds like the gear in the tranny or the cable .. most likely the gear..
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Is there a specific way it has to go into the tranny? I'm sure that's the problem since I removed it. Any trick to it?
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

how would you like a JEEP FSM manual on a DVD that covers '81-'87.. but the tranny and speedo connection should be the same and most of the info will match up.. I can mail you a copy if you pm me name and address.. wayne (it helps a lot, sorry its not the '80 version)..
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigemags05 View Post
Is there a specific way it has to go into the tranny? I'm sure that's the problem since I removed it. Any trick to it?
If you are running the original trans yes it has to indexed correctly in the trans housing. The speedo gear sleeve (adapter) has lines and numbers marked around it's face. To line up and mesh the gear by its tooth count.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Thank you very much for the offer. I have an fsm for the cj, and when the 4.2 was in it, the speedometer worked great. But since I had to use a new vss and an adaptor for the 4.0 it isn't working now.
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars

If you are running the original trans yes it has to indexed correctly in the trans housing. The speedo gear sleeve (adapter) has lines and numbers marked around it's face. To line up and mesh the gear by its tooth count.
Ok, so there will be markings on the speedo gear I pulled out? I'm sure I put it back in the wrong way.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

There weren't any marks, but I was able toget the gear in correctly and the speedometer now works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.