4.0 swap into 82 cj8 advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 swap into 82 cj8 advice

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
gingermesiah
1982 CJ8 

4.0 swap into 82 cj8 advice

I have read so many swamp threads I think i'll drown. I understand the process of the install and all. So my question is, If I have a fully running 97xj with 117k 4.0 manual. My cj8 is and 82 4.2 (fried) 300 transfercase and I think a 32rh auto transmission(swaped in by po). Can I swap over the engine, transfercase, transmission and axles without having to worry about rotating the transfercase? I realize the xj's axles are not any better, so either way would be fine for a dailey driver? Or should I go with a 95xj manual with 150k for half the price?

gingermesiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Could it be done? Sure. But why? The XJ manual trans will bolt to the D300 quite easily. Then you could keep your axles and avoid the fab work of converting the coil sprung XJ D30 to leafs and/or using the inferior NP231 tcase instead of the D300.

As for which 4L to use, the 95 and prior are easier to wire....and when it comes to electrical I like to KISS!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
gingermesiah
1982 CJ8 

thank you, most the xj's with manual that I'm looking at are around 150,000, should I have the head reworked before reinstall? There are a few xj/grands out there with bad transmissions but motors around 120,000, I would have to find a seperate tranmission. Which means I would have to find a ecu to match the year and type of transmission, right? Are all the obd 1 harnesses the same or do they change per transmission type/yr? Is there a better manual transmission that will bolt up than the ax15 for a around town jeep? I believe I currently have a 32rh automatic transmission and a D300 transfer case, if that makes a difference? Is the 300 or the 242 better for normal driving and some very minor off roading?
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingermesiah View Post
thank you, most the xj's with manual that I'm looking at are around 150,000, should I have the head reworked before reinstall? There are a few xj/grands out there with bad transmissions but motors around 120,000, I would have to find a seperate tranmission. Which means I would have to find a ecu to match the year and type of transmission, right? Are all the obd 1 harnesses the same or do they change per transmission type/yr? Is there a better manual transmission that will bolt up than the ax15 for a around town jeep? I believe I currently have a 32rh automatic transmission and a D300 transfer case, if that makes a difference? Is the 300 or the 242 better for normal driving and some very minor off roading?
I've seen many 4L's run past the 215,000 mile mark. If the engine you plan to swap in has been well maintained I wouldn't worry about it. As far as I know the harnesses are the same regardless of transmission type. Depending on what a Jeep was equipped with, there may be some wires not used in the harness (I think even 4 bangers use the same harness, but only use 2/3 of the injector wiring).....but don't quote me on it.

As for transmissions, I'm partial to a manual and have an AX15 sitting here waiting to go in some day. If you decide thats what you will use try and get one from '94 and up as they have the external clutch slave. There are other options like the NV3550 but it seems the AX15 is cheaper and easier to come by.

And I'd take a gear driven t-case (D300) over a chain drive (NP242, 231 etc.) any day of the week regardless of intended use.....but that's just me.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
gingermesiah
1982 CJ8 

Thanks the the advice, think I'm going to go look at a 95 xj tomorrow. Should be able to get a good deal

Tags
4.0 , axles , cj , swap , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.