4.0 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 swap

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Got started tonight.

img_20130930_205837_222-01.jpg

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
I'm wrapping up the same swap. Here's a link to my thread...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...-swap-1530716/

I found that the physical differences between the 92-95 OBDI engines and the 96-99 OBDII engines are pretty much negligible. The only significant differences are that the computers are not interchangeable, and there is a second O2 sensor downstream of the catalytic converter. Also, the wiring is a bit different. If you want/need to run a check engine light, you need the gauge cluster from the 96-99, since there is not a CEL lead from the computer.

If you are on a budget, you can modify your current bellhousing and make a simple bracket for your CPS instead of using the Hesco ($$$) relocation kit.

The benefits of the 96-99 OBDII system (at least for me) are:
1) They seem to be much more available where I'm at.
2) The improved diagnostic trouble codes are way more helpful.

So far, I'm a little over a grand into my swap (not including costs I've recovered by selling old parts). All I have left to do is get an exhaust welded up, then take it to the smog referee to be inspected.
I hope this helps. Have fun!
Ok i got a few questions i live in SC. and we dont have smog inspection. So i was think i wouldnt need any of the emissions (pradon my french but) crap from the cherokee, right? And i was reading about the five wires to fire. i might be reading to much in to this but i find it hard to believe that i only have to splice five wire to get the whole cherokee wiring harness, EMC to power up and work properly? again this is the first time diving into something this challenging or confusing?

Unread 10-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Yep, that really is it. The 5 wires are:

1) batt power from under the hood to the CJ fuse box
2) switched power from ignition switch to XJ harness (hot in "run" and "start")
3) switched power from ignition switch to XJ starter relay (hot in "start" only)
4) XJ harness grounds to CJ ground
5) [optional] switched power from ignition switch to XJ harness (for emissions equipment)

You can hook up the engine and wiring without any of the emissions equipment, and it will run, but there will constantly be DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) set in your computer. At the very least, I'd recommend installing the evap canister...

I also recommend downloading and becoming familiar with the Factory Service Manual.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Yep, that really is it. The 5 wires are:

1) batt power from under the hood to the CJ fuse box
2) switched power from ignition switch to XJ harness (hot in "run" and "start")
3) switched power from ignition switch to XJ starter relay (hot in "start" only)
4) XJ harness grounds to CJ ground
5) [optional] switched power from ignition switch to XJ harness (for emissions equipment)

You can hook up the engine and wiring without any of the emissions equipment, and it will run, but there will constantly be DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) set in your computer. At the very least, I'd recommend installing the evap canister...

I also recommend downloading and becoming familiar with the Factory Service Manual.
Dang after will that hard work of changing the engines out and trying to wrap my head around the idea of all of the spider web of a harness and its that easy. MAN you guys here are life saver cause i was lost.... cheers to you..... I guess the next part will he wiring it up and the hard part thinning out the harness and figuring out were to put it all. i think if its that easy to wire up theres alot of the harness i dont need? And one more thing about the VSS did you ever find an adaptor and im guess it goes were the speedo cable is suppose to go? and i will do on the serves manual. im taking that this will help me out alot.

Unread 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgi3 View Post
Dang after will that hard work of changing the engines out and trying to wrap my head around the idea of all of the spider web of a harness and its that easy. MAN you guys here are life saver cause i was lost.... cheers to you..... I guess the next part will he wiring it up and the hard part thinning out the harness and figuring out were to put it all. i think if its that easy to wire up theres alot of the harness i dont need? And one more thing about the VSS did you ever find an adaptor and im guess it goes were the speedo cable is suppose to go? and i will do on the serves manual. im taking that this will help me out alot.
The XJ engine harness does not get thinned out too much. The "5 wires" are where the XJ and CJ harnesses get joined together. You will keep the dozens of wires from the XJ ECM to all the sensors and such. About the only thing that got stripped out of my XJ engine harness was the cruise control and A/C wiring. Of course, I had to keep all my emissions equipment and run wires under the dash for a check engine light and OBDII data link.

You will be able to significantly thin out the CJ harness. You'll keep the CJ wiring for headlights, horn, and gauges, the wires going down to the transmission/t-case for your reverse lights and 4x4 indicator, and the wires required for the "5 wires", but that's about it. All the wiring for your CJ ignition module, computer (if you still have it) and alternator can go.

On the link I provided to the service manual, you want the 99 XJ FSM. XJ's were pretty much unchanged from '96-'99. Section 8W is all wiring diagrams.
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
The XJ engine harness does not get thinned out too much. The "5 wires" are where the XJ and CJ harnesses get joined together. You will keep the dozens of wires from the XJ ECM to all the sensors and such. About the only thing that got stripped out of my XJ engine harness was the cruise control and A/C wiring. Of course, I had to keep all my emissions equipment and run wires under the dash for a check engine light and OBDII data link.

You will be able to significantly thin out the CJ harness. You'll keep the CJ wiring for headlights, horn, and gauges, the wires going down to the transmission/t-case for your reverse lights and 4x4 indicator, and the wires required for the "5 wires", but that's about it. All the wiring for your CJ ignition module, computer (if you still have it) and alternator can go.

On the link I provided to the service manual, you want the 99 XJ FSM. XJ's were pretty much unchanged from '96-'99. Section 8W is all wiring diagrams.
OK i think i can handle that. you wouldnt have a picture of your engine compartment so i can get a idea on where to mount all the elec. and emissions, would you. i down loaded the FSM for the 95 XJ but ill go back and get the one for the 99 in the morning.

Unread 10-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Im looking at the different kind of fuel pumps. I'm look at a Mr. gasket part # 42s. Its a 42gph pump. anyone every use this pump? or got any feed back on it.

Unread 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

The stock injectors on the 4.0 will only use ~25gph total. However, the '96-up fuel injection system is designed to for ~50psi fuel pressure. Make sure your new pump can provide the necessary volume at the necessary pressure. I'm using an Airtex E2000 in mine.

It looks like that Mr. Gasket 42S is meant for a carbureted system, and likely only puts out ~2-3.5psi.
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Alright will do. I think I seen one of those on the website I was looking on.

Unread 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #25
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
The stock injectors on the 4.0 will only use ~25gph total. However, the '96-up fuel injection system is designed to for ~50psi fuel pressure. Make sure your new pump can provide the necessary volume at the necessary pressure. I'm using an Airtex E2000 in mine.

It looks like that Mr. Gasket 42S is meant for a carbureted system, and likely only puts out ~2-3.5psi.
OK I got an E2000 pump and got a fuel filter/regulator for a 2004 WJ but what is third fitting for?

Unread 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

The third fitting is a return to the fuel tank from the regulator. The two male fittings are the inlet and outlet. The female fitting is the tank return. Inlet and return are on the same end.
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #27
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

So can I go to the parts store and buy the return line so it'll have the male fit or do I go to the salvage yard or can I make one

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #28
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

You can browse on the Dorman website for the correct fitting. http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-386-...spx?pagenum=12

I got mine from the parts store.
Unread 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

got the bellhousing drilled and the cps in place. then set the motor and trans in place. Got the grill and radiator ready to sit in and noticed that the bottom outlet of the radiator was a lose and when I got a closer look the whole thing pulled out of the radiator. good think it and old radiator so I can fix it.
img_20140115_200118_371.jpg  

Unread 01-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
bgi3

1983 CJ7 

Got get the stuff to fix the radiator then we'll be back in business. Hopefully everything else will go smoothly. notice the radiator in the right pic is the one from the donor. just make sure it wont fit....
img_20140116_240439_589.jpg   img_20140115_223847_953.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.