4.0 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
4.0 swap

I'm thinking of doing a 4.0 swap from a 97 cherokee. I'm aware that I need a crank position sensor/damper kit. I'm gonna on a budget. What the cheapest why to do this.

__________________
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
Or would it be easier/cheaper to pull the fuel injection off and put it on my 4.2
__________________
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
aggiejon
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 585
My understanding is that the obdii 96+ are difficult to make the swap onto a 258. I had a 99 4.0 and wanted to use it. However the more I researched, my mind changed to stick with an obdi 92-95
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
SLO_Ken
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 886
I'm wrapping up the same swap. Here's a link to my thread...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...-swap-1530716/

I found that the physical differences between the 92-95 OBDI engines and the 96-99 OBDII engines are pretty much negligible. The only significant differences are that the computers are not interchangeable, and there is a second O2 sensor downstream of the catalytic converter. Also, the wiring is a bit different. If you want/need to run a check engine light, you need the gauge cluster from the 96-99, since there is not a CEL lead from the computer.

If you are on a budget, you can modify your current bellhousing and make a simple bracket for your CPS instead of using the Hesco ($$$) relocation kit.

The benefits of the 96-99 OBDII system (at least for me) are:
1) They seem to be much more available where I'm at.
2) The improved diagnostic trouble codes are way more helpful.

So far, I'm a little over a grand into my swap (not including costs I've recovered by selling old parts). All I have left to do is get an exhaust welded up, then take it to the smog referee to be inspected.

I hope this helps. Have fun!
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
I'm wrapping up the same swap. Here's a link to my thread...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...-swap-1530716/

I found that the physical differences between the 92-95 OBDI engines and the 96-99 OBDII engines are pretty much negligible. The only significant differences are that the computers are not interchangeable, and there is a second O2 sensor downstream of the catalytic converter. Also, the wiring is a bit different. If you want/need to run a check engine light, you need the gauge cluster from the 96-99, since there is not a CEL lead from the computer.

If you are on a budget, you can modify your current bellhousing and make a simple bracket for your CPS instead of using the Hesco ($$$) relocation kit.

The benefits of the 96-99 OBDII system (at least for me) are:
1) They seem to be much more available where I'm at.
2) The improved diagnostic trouble codes are way more helpful.

So far, I'm a little over a grand into my swap (not including costs I've recovered by selling old parts). All I have left to do is get an exhaust welded up, then take it to the smog referee to be inspected.

I hope this helps. Have fun!
Awesome..... thanks. I bought a 97 XY from a guy that was gonna scrape it cause the tranny went out for 425$. I think imma buy the hasco cps cause the XJ is a auto. And I would have to get a flywheel for a man. XJ. And they are rare around here
__________________
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
SLO_Ken
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgi3 View Post
Awesome..... thanks. I bought a 97 XY from a guy that was gonna scrape it cause the tranny went out for 425$. I think imma buy the hasco cps cause the XJ is a auto. And I would have to get a flywheel for a man. XJ. And they are rare around here
My engine was also from an automatic. I got a brand new flywheel off eBay for $63 shipped. Far less expensive than the Hesco CPS relocation kit.

EDIT: looks like they're up to $66. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-LFW193-F...a99f28&vxp=mtr
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post

My engine was also from an automatic. I got a brand new flywheel off eBay for $63 shipped. Far less expensive than the Hesco CPS relocation kit.

EDIT: looks like they're up to $66. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-LFW193-F...a99f28&vxp=mtr
Great.... I can do that. How did you measure the bell housing for drilling.
__________________
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
SLO_Ken
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgi3 View Post
Great.... I can do that. How did you measure the bell housing for drilling.
I followed directions/dimensions given here...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/of...ml#post8274428

and here...

http://s551.photobucket.com/user/Mar...?sort=2&page=1
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Thanks.... you saved me a good bit of time and money.
__________________
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgi3 View Post
I'm thinking of doing a 4.0 swap from a 97 cherokee. I'm aware that I need a crank position sensor/damper kit. I'm gonna on a budget. What the cheapest why to do this.
edit its a 96 cherokee..... and im using my factory T4 transmission....does this make a difference?
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
ThisGuyUKnow
Senior Member
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Harleysville, PA
Posts: 651
if you are going through the trouble to put in a 4.0 why not use a nv3550 or ax15.
__________________
1985 CJ7 Laredo, 4.0, NV3550, D300, 3.31 AMC 20 w/trac loc
ThisGuyUKnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyUKnow View Post
if you are going through the trouble to put in a 4.0 why not use a nv3550 or ax15.
Cause I wasn't planning on doing the swap til this Cherokee fell in my lap and I just had the t4 rebuilt
__________________
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
SLO_Ken
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgi3

edit its a 96 cherokee..... and im using my factory T4 transmission....does this make a difference?
Shouldn't make a difference. I used a t5, which has the same case/pattern as your t4.
__________________
California 4.0 OBDII Engine Swap
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/california-4-0-obdii-swap-1530716/
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,748
There's nothing different about the '96 an 97 engines.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
bgi3
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Shouldn't make a difference. I used a t5, which has the same case/pattern as your t4.
i didnt see this. thanks guys been alot of help. imma start jerking everything apart tomorrow and get ready for the swap. ill let yall know if i got anymore questions. thanks again.
__________________
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

When in doubt? GAS IT!!!!!

Parachute For Sale! Only used once. Never opened. Small stain.....

1984 CJ7, 4.0 FI, 31" BFG A/T,
bgi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.