4.0 into Scrambler... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 into Scrambler...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

4.0 into Scrambler...

I think I found a complete 4.0 swap with tranny (I think an AX-15 Auto) and was wondering if I should take the Transfer Case that comes with the deal. The Scrambler has a Dana 300 now and not sure which T/C the 4.0 comes with. Can the 300 mate up to the AX-15 without too much trouble? Seems like keeping everything together from the donor vehicle would be the easiest swap, but that doesn't mean better I guess.

Thanks for any info.

Unread 05-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
BamablueTJ

The ax-15 is a manual tranny, and the dana 300 can be mated to it fairly easily. You cant use the wrangler T-case because the front axle output is on the drivers side, and your CJ has it on the passenger side. Besides that, you would be crazy to pass up the dana 300 even if you could use the other one. The D300 is a beast of a transfer case for a stocker, and you can get crazy low gears for it.
BamablueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

OK, then I guess it is not the AX-15 cuz it is an Automatic that the guy has. I've got the 999 Auto in the Scrambler now and maybe i'll just keep that in there with the 300. Looks like I've got some homework to do.

Thanks
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

If it's an auto, it's a 32RH which is a newer version of the 999 which has the provision for the CPS that the 4.0 uses...take the whole thing, bro'. Take the t-case too...you can get a kit for about $400 to use just the plantary front half of the 231 to make a doubler with it and your Dana 300...you've got the wheelbase to use it no problem. Those weren't out yet when I set mine up, so I used the range box from a 203:

Here's one of the 231 doubler kits: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399755

If you don't want/need the doubler, if the t-case is part of the deal or thrown in cheap, you can just resell it for a couple hundred bucks.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info guys. Jeepskate, is there much that goes into fabbing up the motor mounts (welding) or changes that need to be made to the skidplate in this swap. Does the 4.0 leave room for the stock fan set up or is there alot of unforseen changes that I will encounter. I'm going to check out some of the tech writeups on the various forums but just wonding what you think.

Also, are you heading to the CJ-8 national in TN?

Thanks
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Nothing to fab, just re-use the 4.2 mounts...the blocks are virtually identical externally except you have to use a metric bolt in one of the holes. Nothing to mess with on the skid plate either if you're just doing the straight 4.0/32RH to Dana 300 fitup...you won't even have to change driveshafts since you already have a 999. You may or may not have radiator clearance issues with the fan, depends on what radiator you have (there's at least 3 different 80's CJ radiators. I did this swap most of the way several years ago, so there's info on my web site. The swap forum on www.cjoffroad.com will probably be your best source of info as you get down to the nitty gritty of getting it fired up and running right.

Probably not going to make the Nat's...just got back from a consultation with an oncologist...
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info Jeepskate, I'm really interested in the swap. Can't wait to get started.

Hope all is well with the Dr. and best wishes.

Thanks again

Rob

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.