4.0 head swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 head swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 10-18-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
MillerHalrey76

4.0 head swap

what kind of gains am i lookin to get off my cj 4.2 with the 4.0 head swap? how much total am i lookin at paying? is it worth it or no is what im trying to figure out. thanks for the help guys

GO CUBBIES!!!!!
MillerHalrey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerHalrey76
what kind of gains am i lookin to get off my cj 4.2 with the 4.0 head swap? how much total am i lookin at paying? is it worth it or no is what im trying to figure out. thanks for the help guys
I was wondering if doing the 4.0 head swap and keeping it carburated is going to net some gain as well...
Unread 10-19-2004, 03:51 AM   #3
Greezy Gringo

This has been discused about a billion times. Do a search for it.
Or read this write up:
http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

I just put a new motor, with warranty, in my 80 CJ7. Im going to do the head swap once the warranty runs out. Everything Ive read says you get like ~40 HP and lotsa torque from the upgrade. Ive been watching a head on eBay that was designed for the swap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33617

Keep in mind that you'll need new intake manifold...
Unread 10-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I was wondering if doing the 4.0 head swap and keeping it carburated is going to net some gain as well...
Yes it does, a large gain. FI is still the better way, but a carb is a low buck, low tech way to get started.

Quote:
Keep in mind that you'll need new intake manifold...
I have heard that the old intake can be used with some grinding. A new exhaust manifold is a must. The eBay head is a bit expensive but if you have more money than time, still a good option. Look for the 7120 head, better flowing than the others.

Overall this is a good cost to power ratio mod.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 03:06 PM   #5
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

http://www.cjoffroad.com has a whole forum dedicated to this swap. Tons of info there that I haven't seen other places. From what I have read, it is completely worth it.

Searching for a CJ again

Sold: 2000 TJ
1983 CJ7 Renegade
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosupes
Look for the 7120 head, better flowing than the others.

Overall this is a good cost to power ratio mod.
What is a 7120 head off of???? How can you tell the difference???
Unread 10-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #7
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I'm not 100% sure of all of the casting numbers, but I would not do the swap with a pre-HO head, that's the big difference. Someone check me, but I think it was like 92 or 94 when the HOs came on line.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2004, 12:13 AM   #8
Greezy Gringo

92-94 sounds right to me.

I'll be doing this upgrade around this time next year (when the warranty expires on my new motor.) I was looking at upgrading the cam too. Anyone with cam experience? It's a DD when the weather is nice. Soo like a good low-mid range torque boost?
Unread 10-21-2004, 06:25 AM   #9
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greezy Gringo
Anyone with cam experience? It's a DD when the weather is nice. Soo like a good low-mid range torque boost?
I run a 260* cam which has a low torque curve, not a DD but it has been seeing a lot of miles lately. A 264* would be good also.

Quote:
What is a 7120 head off of???? How can you tell the difference???
Yeah, the 7120 is the casting from the 92-94HO engines, they flow better than other HO engines. But any HO head is still better than the stock head.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.