4.0 head on 258/ or complet 4.0 swap? w/ auot trans?... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 4.0 head on 258/ or complet 4.0 swap? w/ auot trans?...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 10-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
T-$$

4.0 head on 258/ or complet 4.0 swap? w/ auot trans?...

I see a bunch about 4.0 heads and intakes on a 258 block but i haven't seen a ton about jsut dropping in the whole thing. I'd have to assue there would be some mounting issues, or is the 4.0 complete as it is just inferior to the carb 258?

And I know i can search for the answer but a qiuck 1- 10, 1 being the easiest/cheapest , 10 being the trickiest/ expensive, how difficult is the 258-4.0 head swap?

Unread 10-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

from what i've read, a 4.0 is a direct bolt in replacement for a 4.2 (258). motor mounts, transmission and all. from what else i've read, putting a 4.0 head on a 258 short block requires filling some of the coolant holes on the head with epoxy, but is not all that hard. i believe cjoffroad.com has a complete forum on doing the 4.0 engine and 4.0 head swaps.
Renegade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
CJ7Pilot

You can buy 4.0 HO heads that have already been modified for the 258. It's a pretty easy swap, but you'll need a valve cover, intake manifold and exhaust manifold to fit the 4.0 head.

Is your 258 in good shape? If so, this is probably worth doing. However, if your 258 is approaching time for a rebuild, you'd be much better off swapping in a 4.0 HO (complete with fuel injection).

I did everything in steps: first the fuel injection, then the 258 rebuild, then the 4.0 head swap... and now I really wish I'd just gone for a complete engine swap in the beginning. It would have been cheaper, less time wrenching, and I'd have better performance.

Good luck!
Unread 11-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I did mine a little differently than most.

I replaced my tired 4.2L with a 4.0L (carb'd... I like simplicity) and it bolted right in. I really think it's great.

There are a few mods you have to do to make it work but not many...
1. 4.2L intake manifold will mount but you'll need to make some holddown fasteners... the washers are too small.
2. You'll need to modify or fabricate a new power steering bracket to clear the exhaust manifold and extend the length.
3. Mount and wire an electric fuel pump... there's no port for a mechanical pump on the block

Other than that you can pretty much treat it as the same engine. e.g. distributor, MSD 6A, nutter, mounts, trans, clutch, wiring

BTW... I have all the original FI stuff (manifold, injectors, computer, harness) to put the 4.0L if I ever want to.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/official-4-0-swap-thread-475002/

Is the official 4.0 swap thread. It has good info as well as links to more. It was on the stickies FAQ page.

I am in a similar phase - tired 258 out and apart - now weighing opportunity costs.
whittlecj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.