3M weather proofing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 3M weather proofing

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

3M weather proofing

I need to seal my front lip of the cowl gasket to the w/s frame.
Should I go with a squeeze in sealer like...

Government Solutions : 3M? Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, 08008, 5 oz Tube, Black, 6 per case

or with a closed cell tape like...

Product Catalog 3M US truck trucks suv suvs sport utility vehicle vehicles accessory accessories attach attaches stick sticks hold holds glue glues acrylic foam foams tape tapes two side sides double seal seals weather products number numbers data sh

twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I was told by a tech guy at Morris 4x4 Center to only use a small bead of silicone sealer between the cowl seal and the w/s frame. I did, however, have to lower my windshield frame about 1/8" of an inch. The bottom of the frame had a slight bow from left to right, giving me a 1/16" gap in the middle between the cowl seal and the tub. I think they say that so you can still fold down the w/s. If you never fold it down, and want to PO the next owner, seal it top and bottom. Just my 2 cents.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

By the sound of the description on the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, makes it sound like it would work well to seal a valve cover.

Adhesive is a strong, flexible, rubbery adhesive that can withstand vibration, oil, grease, and extreme temperature variations. It is an excellent adhesive for holding paper, cork, or rubber gaskets

I know that's not what you intended but it's good to keep in mind. I thought about sealing my windshield frame like this using silicone. I never fold mine down so I might just seal the heck out of it.

We use silicone on everything at the glass shop. It holds up to a lot of stuff and it's got some give to it so it won't crack or rattle loose.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

Go with 3M strip sealer if you want to go with similar products to the original. It stays pliable and takes paint if you should want to do that. I painted my fenders and tub separately and then used the strip between the two.
47redwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

cool. the only think that worries me about the sealer is like mentioned in other threads, like silicone, will it emit chemicals over time that break down the rubber cowl?
I know that there will be times where i will want the w/s down so it it is affixed with either, will there be enought give to keep the front lip from getting distorted and not sealing right when back in the upright position?
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.