3D printing small parts (radio knobs, etc.) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 3D printing small parts (radio knobs, etc.)

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 07-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

3D printing small parts (radio knobs, etc.)

A buddy of mine has bought himself a 3D printer and is looking to practice making different things and is willing to do it pretty cheaply. I have been needing some knobs for an original AM radio I bought to fill the hole in the dash after I moved my actual stereo to the center console. The radio won't be functional so I'm not worried about strength too much so I thought I might see if he could whip up a couple. I plan to paint them black and make stickers to go on the front.

I am hoping that someone could take a few photos of their radio knobs next to a ruler so I can create a model. I am hoping for a straight on, profile, and back. Really, both the knobs and the bezels would be great.

If you guys have any other small parts that you think might be able to printed let me know. If they arn't too complex I could probably draw up a model and see if he can print them. I'll post up the models and the results as I make progress.

bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

I have a 3D printer as well and have been thinking about doing the same thing. I just haven't gotten around to making any models yet. Looks like it's going to be a rainy day so I'll make my way out to the garage and take some measurements later.
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

If you come up with decent plans, post them on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/
Unread 07-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe he could really practice up and print me up some fenders for my early CJ5 project!!!

Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

How bout a new cj
cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

For the last Bond movie they printed an Aston Martin DB5 to be used as a prop.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...us-scenes.html

So a CJ shouldn't be out of reach.
Unread 07-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Ha! One entire cj. Coming up! I'll need a few measurements! What do you say we start with radio knobs and go from there.
Unread 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

in your original post, you mention not needing the radio knobs to be strong, is there a strength issue with 3d printing?

I am familiar with what is being done, but I haven't ever held a part made from 3d printing, I always assumed the strength would be fine?
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
in your original post, you mention not needing the radio knobs to be strong, is there a strength issue with 3d printing?

I am familiar with what is being done, but I haven't ever held a part made from 3d printing, I always assumed the strength would be fine?
Different types of printing materials are available and the thickness of the prints yield different strengths. My printer material is UV cured and is about the equivalent of an ABS plastic. Other household/residential printers extrude molten plastic, some of the materials are of a starch base if I remember correctly and it will degrade when weathered, ABS is also available. Higher grade printers give you better material options, some of which are Nylon based which works better in needs of being able to withstand the elements. They even print metals but the price of course goes up. What I do to up my parts strength is use an epoxy coat on it and paint over it so it doesn't overcure.
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwig12
Different types of printing materials are available and the thickness of the prints yield different strengths. My printer material is UV cured and is about the equivalent of an ABS plastic. Other household/residential printers extrude molten plastic, some of the materials are of a starch base if I remember correctly and it will degrade when weathered, ABS is also available. Higher grade printers give you better material options, some of which are Nylon based which works better in needs of being able to withstand the elements. They even print metals but the price of course goes up. What I do to up my parts strength is use an epoxy coat on it and paint over it so it doesn't overcure.
All of that. I wasn't sure what material these would be printed from, so if the knobs were going to be used often there might have been a concern about long term durability. On the other hand, there is a law student down in Texas working on a 3d printed AR15. So it all depends on the material you use and the design.
Unread 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

No help?
Unread 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

I went to go find my ruler or some calipers and the damn things went missing. Gotta go buy new ones today.
Unread 07-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdatkins View Post
No help?
Where's the question?
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

First post. I need some photos of original radio knobs with a scale or ruler so that I draw a model.
Unread 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

I have some pics and also have made a 3D model of the knob, I am working on adding the gear teeth into the model next so I'll post that later if still needed. I changed the design a bit in my model in terms of making the knob solid except for where the shaft with gear teeth fits into it. I guess the manufacturer was trying to save money and I really don't care if I spend an extra 2 cents to make it a tougher piece. Enjoy
gear-teeth-measurement-2.jpg   gear-teeth-measurement.jpg   knob-diameter.jpg   knob-height.jpg   close-up-knob-bottom-measurements.jpg  

close-up-knob-bottom.jpg   knob-bottom.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.