3D Printing Old Hard to Find Parts and Custom Parts - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 3D Printing Old Hard to Find Parts and Custom Parts

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #31
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Just a note on plugs and sockets for you. The inside of them has a notch so the spring clips on the back of the spade terminals locks in place and can't pull out the back. There is a channel to the front side from this notch so a tool like a mini screwdriver can be inserted from the front to compress that spring clip allowing the spade to be pulled out the back. The hole also has a stop so the terminals can't push all the way through.
I was wondering about that, I couldn't see the spring clip when I peered in. I'll keep that in mind and update the file so that can be done, thanks.

Jeff you make a good point, I'll have to see what the laws say for 3D printing and infringement laws. I know that's been a slippery slope, I'm wondering if because of the age of these vehicles maybe any patents have expired by now or they just don't care because it was something AMC had and not Chrysler who now obviously carries the Jeep name. If I can't sell the design I drew up directly I can always offer the ability to have it printed and charge for time based upon how long it takes to print thus being solely a service. They have 3D print stores now that you take an item in and they will print you a copy and you come back a few hours or a day later and pick it up.

Rice- 3D printing is great for prototyping in terms of cost effectiveness when it comes to multiple variations in a design. It does allow very fine detail as well but you.need access to multiple printers at once to mass produce things. Now they do have faster printers that are being developed but in terms of material cost it is higher than other methods right now.

Edit: I posted something on a group I am in for Jeeps on Facebook and a guy in the group actually works at one of the Stratasys 3D print companies who just informed me on production. "We have the only production grade thermoplastics and now after our mergers we can do anything from one off to full injection molded production runs."

Place orders through: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Meh. Patents are good for 20 years. We should be fine.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #33
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case bdatkins but I'm still going to look into it just to be safe.

A little update on the web store, I have one up and running that I am filling out and setting up prices. If you go through my Shapeways store you will have a wider array of materials but at a slightly higher cost, this also helps me out with not having to deal with a ton when it comes to a large volume of orders all at once on my own printer. I would like to keep my printer open for prototyping future prints for those who have specific request. I will be sure to let you guys know when my printer is free and you'll get a discount by ordering through me at those times.

Store Link

I've been working on a logo design for the past couple days and so far it has had good reviews and I enjoy it a lot, let me know what you guys think of it. Once I make my business cards it will make more sense in terms of design but my motto/slogan is "Infinite Possibilities"
So all in all it will read out Creative-X -"Infinite Possibilities", I'll be sure to post those up when they are finished as well.
Here is is below:
logo-1.png

logo-2.png

Unread 08-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #34
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You should 3d print the logo and spot glue it onto the traditional business card.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #35
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
You should 3d print the logo and spot glue it onto the traditional business card.
I thought about it but that would get pricey pretty quick. What I'm thinking about doing is finding a business card company that would raise/emboss the design on the card a bit.

I found one company that will do 200 embossed cards for $15 (Way cheaper than printing out one logo per card)

Unread 08-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #36
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

I've been getting better with the 3D modeling program I use and just made myself a replica model of an AC control Knob, debating if I want to put the little grip lines in that the OEM one had.
left-view.jpg  
top-angled-view.jpg

bottom-view.jpg

Unread 08-29-2014, 02:04 AM   #37
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

After printing out my first prototype I found out that it fits perfectly and there is no need for that secondary smaller hole in the bottom so I filled that in and then I added some more OEM features to the design.
shaded_top_angle_lines.jpg   shaded_back_view_lines.jpg   shaded_skewed_bottom_view_lines.jpg   shaded_bottom_view_lines.jpg  

Unread 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #38
wm69

Sweet! What are those going to run?

Any luck finding specs on a Scrambler bumper cap?

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #39
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
Sweet! What are those going to run?

Any luck finding specs on a Scrambler bumper cap?
If you order them directly through me I'll cut you a discount compared to the ones on my Shapeways store. Their service just isn't viable for this particular part in terms of cost. However my printer is and I'll also finish them with paint that matches the original color scheme. (White or chrome symbol in the middle along with the inner circle painted) It will more than likely cost somewhere around $10 or so per knob plus $5.80 for shipping in a flat rate box.

I haven't gotten around to finding the dimensions yet. I'll sit down tonight and see what I can find.

Unread 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Let's see some pictures!
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #41
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Ok, so I've attempted to paint the circle and the symbol in the middle. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to do it, maybe just use some nice stickers and clear coat over them or something because they aren't coming out as clean as I would like them to. The base paint job of black looks just fine though and I'm content with it.

Room for improvement- I'm going to make the notches in the side of the knob deeper so they function and look better, as well as widen the hole at the bottom a tiny bit because I forgot my resin shrinks a bit when cured for a while so it made it a very tight fit.

As requested here are some pics:
10617297_10152391478748063_1320285497_n.jpg   10622298_10152391478828063_189498695_n.jpg   10647780_10152391478793063_893201984_n.jpg   10656381_10152391478598063_225163868_n.jpg   10660746_10152391478538063_1004645354_n.jpg  

10660945_10152391478493063_748254031_n.jpg   10638031_10152391478433063_573076430_n.jpg   10637702_10152391708018063_1356734481_n.jpg   10660732_10152391708073063_86600799_n.jpg   10617400_10152391708108063_237433609_n.jpg  

Unread 08-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #42
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Wow. This technology is really cool. I wanted to add - maybe using a stencil (or two) and spraying the white dye/paint will give you the sharper, more consistent result you're after? It'd also be less time consuming than hand painting. Might be worth trying. Also - if you're going to move this forward...looking for a professional result... I imagine there should be a widely accepted dyeing/coloring technique in this new art/trade. Or maybe contacting an engraver or a company in the plastics business who could provide guidance? Not sure. But wishing you success! Looks like a lot of GREAT potential here!
"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #43
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Hmm, some of those things have crossed my mind Beast. Thanks for the tips and I'm hoping that wish comes true!

I'm learning as I go right now and hopefully I can get a routine process together for finishing prints all at once. I think I'll give the dyeing process a shot this week, it will make doing batch prints a lot easier and less time consuming. Not to mention the dye would give a uniform look, unlike paint that fills in the gaps which is unwanted. Especially when dealing with tiny details. I had another project brought to me recently, a custom emblem/badge for a Chevy S10. I have the first mock-up done and I'll post the final one once I get the go ahead to print, so you guys will have to wait on pictures. My inbox on here is full (not a premium member yet), please message me via email if you have any request.

Email: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com

Unread 09-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #44
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

The Custom Chevy S10 emblem/badge I put together as a request. The story behind it... The Quest is a hunting show that my clients brother is a part of and he got an old S10 to drive around. With that he got the idea of getting a badge for it to read "QueS10" with the 1 looking a little like a T as a play on words sorta thing. I threw in a little added bonus after looking through the shows facebook page and website coming up with the idea of adding a deer head. I can't wait to see it finished and of course I'll post pics once it is printed, he is thinking of hydrodipping it for it's final look.
deer-head-ques10-emblem-3-.jpg  

Unread 09-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #45
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Hey everyone, just to give you guys a heads up for anyone who wants to bring a project to me or just order something. My schedule is a bit screwed up right now due to some unfortunate family matters, so I am trying to do as much as I can with the time I have for the 3D modeling and printing. I will try to get back to anyone and everyone as soon as I possibly can.

On a happier note I will soon be ordering some new resin because my stock is getting low and the new stuff will be much stronger and better suited for functional parts which is a plus. Hope to hear from you guys soon about new projects, I love getting them and I really appreciate the orders I've gotten so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.