3D Printing Old Hard to Find Parts and Custom Parts - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 3D Printing Old Hard to Find Parts and Custom Parts

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #16
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Test fit my first print to make sure the dimensions were accurate and so far so good, actually a lot better than I expected. Now for the second phase of this model I will be extending it's walls up and creating a catch point for the female blade connections and then it will be a functional part! Edit: I went down to the garage and overlapped the part I printed and it is pretty damn good for being a first attempt, the only reason there are open spots is because of the angle of the pic and I need to pull and filet some of the walls that hold the connectors which is easy. I'm getting excited and can't wait to finish this project up so I can test it out! (sorry for the blurry image, I'll get a better one tomorrow)

10622217_10152370940518063_887299189_n.jpg   10634136_10152370940753063_1558953569_n.jpg   10615710_10152370953133063_1321341396_n.jpg  
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #17
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Too cool
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

I am very close to finishing up this model, the last thing I need to do is create the 2 snap fit brackets on the outside of the connector housing and I'm done! Here is a quick screenshot of it before I finish up.
almost-done.jpg   side-view.jpg  
Unread 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #19
RidgeRat
1980 CJ5 

Wow, I'm blown away you were able to do that. This part is very hard to find online, I guess few people need one. You might be the only source for this piece. How much do you want for a finished piece?
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

I finished the model and did a test print just to make sure it was all good, a few adjustments and I'll print the final version for you RidgeRat. Price wise I'll have to figure out a good price, I want to make a nice profit but I don't want to make it ridiculous. Final price will probably be $15-20 because it has a good amount of time in it and it's a unique piece. I'm very glad you brought this to my attention though otherwise I'd of had no clue this was a desired piece by some. I'll be sure to add it to my stock pile of plastic parts I've been modeling for the Jeep.
finished-2-.jpg   finished-1.jpg  
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #21
RidgeRat
1980 CJ5 

That's a fair price, let me know when you have the final version and how you want to be paid. You should consider putting this on eBay because these parts are impossible to find. You'd be the only guy out there that's reproducing these. Granted it's probably rare that people need this part but I can't be the only one.

In my case, the PO must have been using pennies for fuses because my harness is badly melted on one side. I've been looking for a replacement part for years but no luck till now.
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Can you make heat resistant parts, or is that stuff you're using pretty heat resistant? These switches do get warm, and many times the connector melts when the terminals get hot from loose connections or the switch fails.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

The parts are fairly resistant to heat, I'll do a test and upload it for you. I forgot the exact specs but upward 150+ or so I believe. I wouldn't stick anything under the hood near the engine and expect it to last though.

Quick question, the female blade connectors... would you rather them slide in from the back with ease or have it as a tight fit so they are more snug once all the way in? I have one design where epoxy will be needed to hold them in their final position and another model where it is tight to get in but very unlikely they will come loose ( I still recommend some bonding agent to hold them in place though just to be safe)

Edit: Final design is ready, I decided to leave it snug due to the fact I just put in the connectors and plugged it into my own Jeep and it held fairly well even without epoxy. I still suggest adding epoxy to the bottom where the wire comes out for added reliability.

RidgeRat go ahead and private message me and we'll figure something out, more than likely paypal will be the payment option of choice until I get an online store set up. For anyone else wanting to buy this I'll be posting this design to my shapeways store (In the making) where they have a wider range of materials and it won't take up print time on my own printer (plus they do the shipping for me in nice little packages).

Place orders through: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #24
ricewt

1979 CJ7 

I'd be curious to see what you could come up with for mounting a console, CJ7? I, like many others, am using an ammo box, but can't find a real good way to mount something like this that is flat, to a curved floor. And to also make it sturdy. Perhaps a front and a rear section that slide together that would allow an adjustable "length" for different console ideas (like maybe they would use a type of sliding channel to maintain stiffness)?

Just a thought for a part that I need, and have seen others need on this forum as well. Mine didn't come with a console, and there is likely a OEM mount of sorts out there, but probably good luck finding it!!
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #25
The_War_Wagon
2007 XK Commander 

Can I talk you into making Gen.1 Dodge interior trim pieces next?
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #26
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

ricewt- I'd give it a shot, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. It would just be a matter of pricing out materials+markup to make a profit. Would it be made of plastic or have to be printed in steel? Which is completely possible but more expensive, or I could use a higher grade plastic for increased strength which would lower the cost. My main question would be, "what are people willing to pay for a universal center console bracket?" If you guys could weigh in on that aspect of it all I'll look into producing them.

The War Wagon- Hah, it's possible to do but I'd need precise measurements and some time. I don't have one available to test out my models to make sure they fit how they should. Now if you have access to a high grade 3D scanner that's a whole other story.

I really appreciate the comments and projects you guys have been bringing to my attention this is helping me out a ton! My goal is to turn this into something that I can do full time down the road and expand via more printers so I can start producing more parts at a time. I love that I am able to provide a service that helps others finish their own projects and bring their ideas/visions to the real world with a physical part that has a functional purpose. Keep the ideas coming and I'll do my best to make them a reality, thanks everyone!
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #27
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

I would think, but don't know, that it would be easier and cheaper to fab up a bracket to mount the ammo can center console than to print something. If I had a 3D printer, a supply of free filament, and was just looking for a project to work on, then maybe. Other wise I would look at how tuffy consoles mount and follow their lead. Just my 2 cents.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #28
ricewt

1979 CJ7 

You make a good point and I can fab something up. I was just proposing a common item/thing that many seem to need. Not everyone can fab or weld? I also can't say I am the smartest at what would be "3D printed" as opposed to injection molding or other practices either for that matter. Is the advantage of 3D printing the ability to get much greater detail? Like on small objects?
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #29
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Just a note on plugs and sockets for you. The inside of them has a notch so the spring clips on the back of the spade terminals locks in place and can't pull out the back. There is a channel to the front side from this notch so a tool like a mini screwdriver can be inserted from the front to compress that spring clip allowing the spade to be pulled out the back. The hole also has a stop so the terminals can't push all the way through.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #30
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if there are any patents that exist on any of the individual parts that you can print for vehicles?

I bet if you made enough noise and profit, you'd start hearing from lawyers.

Probably get a cease and desist and be able to use it as a warning.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.