383 Dyno Pulls 2004 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 383 Dyno Pulls 2004

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

383 Dyno Pulls 2004

I thought this video was long gone but my brother recently found it in an old box.

It's not Jeep related but I'm excited to see it resurrected from the dead and wanted to share it with you guys.

As you can see, the jetting was a little fat at the bottom and the Holley HP 750 was a bit much so it didn't want to take full throttle at 2,500 rpm. It was in the 460 hp range when I shot the video but a couple of hours and some jetting got it to finally settle in at 485 hp and 482 ft./lbs.

Turn up the volume!

YouTube - Small block Chevy dyno run

Shawn

Last edited by swatson454; 04-24-2010 at 08:05 PM..
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Fairly unrelated but an honest question none-the-less.

My brother sent me the original 8mm video the other day. What I posted earlier was a fairly Mickey Mouse endeavor as he simply set his digital camera on the coffee table and recorded the video playing on the tv from the old 8mm camera, LOL. He could only email two and a half minutes of a 15 minute video.

Does anyone know where to go to have it converted from the original 8mm tape to digital format? Walgreens, retail camera shop, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shawn
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Walgreens can do it. They send it out to a pro shop.

Tell us more about the engine specs.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

thanks great vid
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Walgreens? Hell, I figured it would be a big production. Sweet, thanks!

The engine plan started off as a fairly mild, 383 that made a ton of torque and would still start at 16 below zero, when I lived in Northern Nevada.

It's a classic example of letting things get out of hand as you build. I'm really good at sticking to the original goal and ending up with a great product when building engines for other people but my curiosity and insatiable need to test got the best of me, again.

The first iteration involved a custom ground cam based on the advertised flow specs of a set of Pro-Topline heads. I'm not here to cast blame on a manufacturer but Pro-Topline heads don't flow anywhere near what Pro-Topline says they do. Pro-Topline, did you get that? Lol.

Anyways, the first weekend on the dyno with the Pro-Topline heads (lol) resulted in roughly 370hp but made 435ft.lbs. This is usually an indication of a set of heads that just don't flow i.e. Jeep 258. I sent the heads to MM&S in Tuscon for some work and, even after 2.05 intake valves, 30* seats and a bowl blend to smooth the new size out, they STILL didn't flow anywhere near what was advertised! Did I mention that it was Pro-Topline?

Needless to say, I was pissed that I couldn't even muster up 400hp. Being that I was so frustrated with not even breaking 400hp, the heads were scrapped (even after all of that work) and I ordered a set of AFR 195cc heads. You can trust AFR to give you real flow numbers, not always perfect but damn close. The hydraulic cam was also scrubbed and I came up with a new set of specs but went solid-roller this time and swapped the Performer manifold out with a Performer RPM.

The result was 485hp and 482ft.lbs. and all happening before 6,000 rpm. My original plan of a highly modified Q-Jet didn't work out at all (testing again) so those numbers were realized with a 4-hole adapter on a Q-Jet manifold and the dyno operater's Holley. Once I got home, I ordered a Performer RPM Air-Gap and a Mighty Demon 650 which ran like a raped ape. At a thousand bucks a day and a 400 mile drive, I wasn't too keen on going back to the dyno for final numbers so who knows. It sure cleaned up that flat spot on the video though! That engine was a 520hp engine all day long with a simple change from a Performer RPM to a Victor Jr. but I had the unfortunate scenario of having to compromise. That dual-plane manifold was running out of breath by 5,500 rpm.

You make alot of mistakes when you test like that but you also weed through every bit of the nonsense.

Engine specs are:
AFR 195 heads with 10.0:1 compression
Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons w/ anti-friction coated skirts
Scat Steel crank and Scat I-beam rods, full-floating wrist pins
ARP studs through-out
Comp Cams custom-ground Extreme Solid Roller profile 280 adv. 242 at .050, .596 lift on a 106 LCA installed at 102 ICL
1.6 Pro-Magnum Roller rockers
custom length Pro-Magnum pushrods
Performer RPM Air-Gap manifold
Barry Grant Mighty Demon 650
Hooker Super Comp Headers, 1 5/8 primarys 20 inch collector extensions

Shawn

Holley Carburetors

Last edited by swatson454; 06-10-2010 at 12:20 PM..
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy , sbc

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.