360 Head Gasket Install Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 360 Head Gasket Install Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
asoude1

360 Head Gasket Install Questions

I'm rebuilding my 360 and have a couple of questions about the installation of the heads. I'm using Fel-pro head gaskets. One side is a composite material (blue) and the other side is metal. I plan to spray the metal side with copper sealant. Am i correct in assuming that the metal sides face the block and the blue sides face the heads? Also, I am planning on re-using the head bolts. I have cleaned them really well and i know the torque sequence. However, what should i put on the bolts? Should I just dip the threads in oil before installing them? Do I need to use anti-seize? Let me know if all of this seems ok. Any help would be appreciated.

asoude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Follow the instructions in the package for the head gaskets. They only go on one way. Spray both sides of the gasket with two coats of copper spray, and spray the bolts with a coat of copper spray.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

EVERY bolt, EVERY nut, EVERY screw, used on a Jeep, whether it be on the engine, glove compartment, or tailpipe, should have ANTI SEIZE. That bottle of anti seize will go a long way, and you will be happy you used it.
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
asoude1

Will anti-seize mess up the torque reading?
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

No, I don't think anti seize will alter your torque wrench readings.

TORQUE WRENCH? I have a lot of different types of torque wrenches, but most of the time I torque the bolts using the COLOR CODE method.

What is that, you ask? Just torque the bolts down until you get red in the face and can't pull anymore, and just give it one more little tug!
Works for me!
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
crazyeye
1979 CJ7 

Using any type of lube like nickel aka anti seize . Moly lube are cooper lube will all cuts down on your friction . And torque values change when you use that stuff
crazyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

My felpro head gaskets went on dry because that's what my machinist told me to do. The gaskets should be labeled left, right, up, down head, block or something to that effect to let you know which way they go on. The head bolt holes on the AMC V8s are all blind, meaning that they do not go into a water jacket or anywhere else requiring sealant, but like everyone else said, they need lube on the threads and under the head of the bolt. Mine where lubed with motor oil when installed, then torqued to spec in three steps but I'm sure someone will say that is wrong.
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
The head bolt holes on the AMC V8s are all blind, meaning that they do not go into a water jacket or anywhere else requiring sealant...
Not exactly correct.

Bolt #7 (bottom row driver's side, second bolt from the front) goes thru the water jacket, and it requires thread sealant.

I used the stuff on the left of this pic.

Matt
sealants.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
asoude1

I plan to put copper spray on both sides of the gaskets and use the thread sealant that Matt shows on all of the bolts. I also plan to rub a little oil on the bottom of the bolt heads. I should be able to bolt the heads down tomorrow.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.