350 V8 Oil Capacity? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 350 V8 Oil Capacity?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
BigMike20

350 V8 Oil Capacity?

For anyone who has a stock Chevy 350 V8, what is the oil capacity for such an engine? Ever since I got my Jeep, I've put 5 quarts of oil into the engine because this gave the best result on the dipstick. However, I've seen many 350's advertised with 4 quart oil pans. I have been experiencing an oil leak that I've been unable to determine where its coming from...maybe I have too much oil in the motor???

Unread 10-30-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

I think your all over it with five quarts. That would be 4 in the pan, and 1 in the filter. I belive your okay.
Unread 10-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
CJ2a

I agree... A basic 350ci takes 5qts w/filter.. as for the leak, does it smoke on start up as most GMs do? Could be bad valve seals.. another possability is the oil braether on the valve cover if you have one.. just a thought.. or the basic leak points, bad valve cover gasket(s) or just loose bolts on the valve cover(s) and the one most of us dont want to think about is a bad rear main seal
33x12.50 15's

I'll add my other rides another day[COLOR=Orange][/COLOR]
CJ2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
BigMike20

Cool...I thought I was okay with 5 quarts. Well the leak is very peculiar to me. The oil pools on the top of the bellhousing and then drips down the sides. Since it's pooling on the top, people have suggested that it might be the intake manifold, valve covers, or oil sending unit. I've checked and rechecked these, and also redid the installation of the intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets several times with several different combinations of gaskets and RTV silicone, but I'm still getting the leak. I'm currently in the process of installing a brand new intake manifold and brand new valve covers in one final attempt to stop the leak. As far as gaskets go, I've been using standard Fel-Pro on the valve covers and intake along with RTV silicone on both. I'm now going to try steel core valve cover gaskets and rubber end seals on the intake manifold. If it still leaks after all these precautions and new components, then I give up!
Unread 10-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
CJ2a

hrm... sounds like it could be leaking around the base of the distributor(doubtful) or even the oil pressure switch..cant recall it they are in the rear on the 350 or not.. i know on my bronco with a 351m the oil pressure switch is in the rear and it did leak some so i took it off gave it a wrap with some teflon tape reinstalled it and all was well... Anyway, good luck with it
33x12.50 15's

I'll add my other rides another day[COLOR=Orange][/COLOR]
CJ2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #6
cjjeeper258

The sending unit is on the rear of the block for a 350 chevy. If you are using a mechanical oil gauge, it uses a thin tube with motor oil in it that goes to the gauge i believe, these I have heard of leaking. You are probobly running an electric one though. Check aroung the threads of the oil sender for leaks.

On my 350, I was running stock valve covers until I could save up for better ones. No combination or amount of RTV could have gotten those bastards to seal. They leaked around the back corners. I got a set of Mickey Thompson Valve covers off Ebay for $35.00 and problem solved. The aluminum covers seem to have a wider lip on them which allows them to clamp better on the gasket. The Autozone valve cover special usually will not seal as they don't clamp well, in my experience.

Also, did you use a thin bead of RTV on the front and rear lip or deck where the manifold sets down? Or did you use the Felpro stock rubber pieces? RTV is the way to go. I have seen the thin rubber pieces move or 'blow out' letting oil drip onto the top ofg the bellhousing.

Good luck
cjjeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
BigMike20

I've tried using the RTV by itself, instead of the cork end seals provided with the Fel-Pro gasket set, but it still leaked. It's so hard to tell where it could be coming from. When the engine is idling, there is no visible leak. Only when driving, when the engine is under a load (with increasing oil pressure, of course) does the oil start to accumulate on the bellhousing. A friend of mine told me that I could have warped my aluminum Edelbrock manifold if the PO did not torque it down correctly. Just looking at the thing, it doesn't looked warped, but I imagine it doesn't take much of a gap for oil to fit through at high temps and pressure. That's why I bought a brand new manifold and valve covers. And yes, I was running a mechanical oil gauge but when the actual gauge began filling with oil, I knew it was time to buy a new one and switch over to an electric one. So I'm pretty positive it's not the oil sending unit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.