350 swap,gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 350 swap,gears

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 01-09-2002, 01:16 PM   #1
jp7

350 swap,gears

whats all involved in a 350 eng swap to a cj7 with a 6 bangger?also can I take lock rites out of narrow track amc 20 and install in wide track how about the ring gear?thnks for your help beginning cj7 buildup.

jp7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2002, 05:33 PM   #2
CJ Lover

really the 3 biggest things are new bellhousing (4wd Hardware), engine mounts (4wd Hardware or fabricate your own) and custom exaust. i used hooker headers (Performance Automotive Warehouse) and cherry bombs, or just wide open headers
Unread 01-09-2002, 07:12 PM   #3
clegger

CJ Lover What tranny are you running and what axles do you have? I am putting a 350 in my 76' CJ-5 and haven't decided on a tranny yet. How are your axles holding up.
Unread 01-09-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
olllllo

The gearing in my opinion is most related to what size tires you are going to run. I put a Vortec 5.3 in mine with a 4L60e auto tranny. I used 4.56 gears to match my 35s. Don't have it moving under its own power yet, but it sure looks good on paper anyway!
_________
'86 CJ-7
olllllo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:59 PM   #5
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

JP7,
I pulled my 304/T-15 a few years ago. Pretty easy swap, call Advanced Adapters and get the scoop and parts directly from them. They've got it all and are the supplier for most of the parts houses. You'll need motor mounts (AA has bolt in or weld in), bellhousing (depending on trans/engine combo), and trans/transfer case adapter at the least. More depending on parts selection. I'm running a warmed over 350 with a NP 435 4-speed and a Dana 20 transfer case. I mated the trans to the 350 using a stock chevy mid 80's hydraulic clutch bellhousing and aftermarket clutch assembly. Used the stock Jeep (4 cly Iron Duke engine) clutch master cylinder and chevy pickup slave cylinder. NP 435 to Dana 20 'case was AA and dropped in 3.15 low gears while it was apart. My axles are Dana 44/Dana 30 with Detroit Locker and 4.27s. Gear carrier and gears will work in either axle housing. I like the gears, a good compromise between crawling and the occasional highway ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.